My first United award... Going big !! Could use some advice

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ctdohert2, Aug 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    This first started as a roundtrip to Paris with my wife and daughter, now this is where I am at.
    TPA>ORD>WAW>CDG (stop over) CDG>BKK (destination) HTK>BKK>PEK (23 hours) IAH>TPA.
    I think I have stayed within the rules ...1 stopover 1open jaw no more than 4 connections. It should price as 120,000 each in business. I know you can go to Asia via Europe. The most direct way home is crossing the Pacific. There is space on all these segments, but not so much if I go back through Europe. My fear is that United will see this as a RTW ticket. It know it will price as 2 one ways but I want the stop over. Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed....Thanks Charlie

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be fine. Have a great trip. :cool:

And Phuket is HKT, not HTK.

edekba likes this.
  3. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    I will tell them you said it's OK when I call:)
    So much for my proofreading skills... Also I enjoy reading your blog

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'll be fine.

I'm doing LAX - ORD - BRU (23hr) - PRG - VIE (stop); CDG - BKK - SIN (stop) - ICN (23hr) - LAX

240k for 2ppl

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great trip!

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, did you get it to ticket?

7. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    I will post my results when the last 2K miles post this week . I'm at 358K need 360K. Thought I had enough, hoping a few days won't matter...we'll see

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you are booking over the phone the agents should be able to hold an award for up to 3 days without too much trouble to allow the points to post to your account. If you see the space now I'd make the call and get that done just to make sure it prices and you don't lose the seats you are seeing right now.

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. frankmu

frankmu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dumb question, but in order not to trigger a RTW fare, does one need book two one way tickets? And this can be done by phone?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  11. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    Called united to reserve, and got a great agent who took all segments without any issue. I was booking two reservations, myself and my daughter on one and my wife on the other due to having miles in two United accounts. Business was available the whole way for two. Originally three of my wife's segments were in economy, however the agent put me on hold and found space on TG in business. Very cool. I was confident space would open eventually on the other. I put the itinerary on hold so I could transfer the miles. When I called back they couldn't price my wife's award. They said the ORD-WAW-CDG leg was not in business and the award wouldn't price. Really? After 90 minutes on the phone I spoke with a supervisor who offered to open space on a direct ORD-CDG for her. Nice, but no way she would do this, and I didn't want it either. We talked some more, and was put on hold...again. When he came back on the phone he told me he would open space for all three of us on the ORD-CDG flight. AMAZING !!

Of coarse it would have been perfect if Chase would have transferred all my miles instantly, instead of waiting 3 days to transfer my CSP points. Many more phone calls....

I don't have a lot of experience with this or with United, but over the past week I have spent HOURS on the phone with them and I must say, everyone was very willing to help and to see that I was taken care of. In the end it's a done deal so RTW we go!!

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually a bit confused here (not uncommon)...

Did they do away with the requirement that you cross the same ocean going to/from Asia on a simple round-trip? That's huge if so, but somehow I missed the memo...

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No memo, but many people have been successfully booking "mini-rtw" awards for more than a year now.

I'm also surprised to hear that the CSP points didn't transfer instantly. Mine always have.

edekba and Misplaced Texan like this.
  14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:

I have a booked and ticketed (via United.com) itinerary like this: IAH-SFO-NRT-ICN/NRT-IST-IAH priced as a round-trip.

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, I haven't had any need to test it recently so didn't know that had changed. Pretty cool that it has.

No idea when we'll take advantage of the new flexibility since the next major award trip is likely to involve South Africa and other bits of that continent. But it's still good to know for the eventual future when Asia percolates to the top of the list.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh ... so you can route back to NRT after ICN as stopover? Interesting

17. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:

NRT-ICN is just a connection with an open-jaw between the two on the return. It also involves a stopover at NRT on the way back.

18. greendx

greendx Gold Member

Status Points:
    My points also transfer instantly all the time but I saw my coworker run in to the same issue earlier this year. His points got stuck during the transfer. Lost his award hold waiting for the transfer had a lot of calls to UA & Chase who eventually figured it out and fixed it but didn't tell him what happened. I think it may have had to do with the fact that he had 2 middle names on one account but not on the other.