My first Southwest Flight

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by JayBrian, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JayBrian
    Original Member

JayBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    After all these years flying next weekend will be my first flight on Southwest Airlines.

2. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations... I fought it for years... then tried them and was pleasantly surprised. They set expectations at a level where they can always meet or exceed them ... unlike some other carriers....
    Let us know your impressions once you have completed the trip.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have taken a number of short hops on WN on west coast routes over the years and it's always been a good experience. While my primary carrier (and first choice, primarily for the sake of EQMs) is UA, I do book WN if they are significantly cheaper. Interestingly, while I (1K) really like their very organized boarding approach, my wife (1P) hates it. I guess boarding with me over the red carpet into first class has spoiled her rotten :)

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    WN is something most domestic airlines are not. They are what they say they are, and they deliver it consistently. I liken it to Costco. If Costco stocks an item you desire, it will be at a great price, and they'll always have it. If they don't carry it, don't hold your breath waiting for it. I fly ten or so WN flights a year. While I hate being crammed into a cattle car, I do like that there is very little hassle with booking, changing flights, etc. It's a solid last-minute travel option for me.

The new program is a step down for me personally, but I know it will work better for a cross-section of customers WN is trying to market to right now.

5. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I "worry" that they are trying to be something different than what has made them profitable,successful and have a loyal following. All the changes they are making seem to be getting them closer and closer to "legacy" carriers.

6. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I "worry" that they are trying to be something different than what has made them profitable,successful and have a loyal following. All the changes they are making seem to be getting them closer and closer to "legacy" carriers.

7. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope you enjoy it! I think we've got a great product, not biased at all. ;) We'll get you from A to B safe and sound, which is most important of all!

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's no doubt they're chasing the same customers the legacy carriers make lots of money off of, the business flier. I think the original tweaks that added Business Select fares and fly-by lanes were a great step in the right direction to attract more business travelers. I'm still unsure whether the newest changes are positive ones for me.

9. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've got a gazillion miles on Delta and have not flown in the back of the bus on that carrier in over 25 years. But I'll many times fly WN over DL for a number of reasons.

When WN flies somewhere they usually have a LOT of flights per day. So if you miss one you can always grab another one a couple hours later. Plus since they don't have assigned seating, you've got a fighting chance for a decent seat on the later flight. Not true with carriers like DL who have assigned seating. The "good" seats on those flights have been taken for weeks or longer. And I'm pretty picky on where I sit on a plane.

I like WN's unparalleled safety record as well as the spirit and personality of their flight crews.

I think/hope you'll enjoy your first experience on WN.

Kelsey likes this.
  10. amejr999
    Original Member

amejr999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really don't think a safety record is a good reason to choose an airline; as far as I'm concerned the differences are statistically insignificant.

11. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing about Southwest is that it seems like the employees genuinely enjoy working there, unlike some carriers.

12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    ..and I suspect I will never take my first Southwest flight... I think.

13. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another plus of open seating is this: if you don't get a good seat, then you can at least control your own destiny in terms of getting a good (if not hott) seatmate.

14. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will give it a whirl soon. Booking Cosmopolitan LV and need to get back to either LAX or SFO

15. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you are restricting your choice of airline to major carriers based in the USA, I agree. However, there have been times when I have gone out of my way to avoid flying a third-world carrier with a less-than-stellar safety record.

16. JayBrian - How did your first flight experience go?

MyMiles&Points likes this.