My first reconsideration call and a question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Free2travel, Nov 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I applied yesterday for another Chase card and finally got the dreaded screen that said "please, call our representative to discuss this application". The representative was kind enough to say that Chase couldn't raise my credit line any higher because of the amount of cards I held with them. I simply asked if they would move around credit lines and they were happy to do it and issue my new card. Thank you all for teaching me what to say!

Anyway, here's my question. I've had my Southwest Card with Chase since July. Should I cancel it now so that I am opening my credit line up for future Chase cards?

Thanks!
    Michelle

jwsky likes this.
  2. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If its 7/13 I would not cancel so quickly. Use it to leverage a new card next year. Also, it does not look favorably to you to cancel in such short amount of time.

boondr and jwsky like this.
  3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more. Patience works well when collecting miles. Why take a chance on ruining a good thing by being too agressive. If you absolutely need miles for a specific trip you are planning, then maybe take some chances and push a little harder.

rookie10 likes this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal advice would be never cancel a card until the fee is due or if the issuer says that you have to many CARDS with them. Chase has done that with me before. Then I closed one of my older cards, and had them open a new one at the same time.

Like they say above, keep it open to use as leverage.

I would also add that the longer you are with chase the more htey extend you credit.

5. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! I have plenty of time to wait as our 2014 vacations are already booked. I'm starting on 2015 now so I can definitely wait for my Southwest renewal in July to cancel and/or leverage for a new card. I actually was hurrying because I was afraid the US Air card would disappear. I have 20+ years of a good relationship with Chase and I certainly don't want to jeopardize it.

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Open a checking account with Chase, keep a high balance. Show the Love...

When you talk with them, tell them you want the miles, and intend to keep your spending at the same level, be honest...it helps,

I can not tell you how many card I have, but I do have far more than my fair share, and none gets canceled till the fee comes due...and a few we just pay the fee,

They want to approve you, all bank love to loan money, they try to avoid the deadbeats, unless the Government makes them approve them...