My first MR's for status. How'd i do?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by mo26, Sep 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get registered for that AA status mixup a few weeks back, and it was a great opportunity for me to gather a little status in anticipation of a job change heavy on travel next year.

I was able to lock in my 30k miles for 0.044 cpm (not including any elite mileage bumps i'll earn along the way) so i'm wondering how i did?

Ultimately i'm happy with the cost/value, but i'm wondering what the folks with more MR experience think?

- MO

klrsmith and marcwint55 like this.
  2. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty good for a first attempt. I tend to not bother unless I effectively "buy" RDMs cheaper than I could buy them for direct from the airline (usually under 4cpm is what I look for - my wife and I have a rule that we're only allowed to do runs on Sundays if they are 3.5cpm or below :p), but given you are going for status over RDMs I wouldn't complain about that cpm.

mo26 and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

You didn't get the deal of a lifetime, but if you get the status you are looking for, it should be well worth it.

mo26 likes this.
  4. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some of us, getting a MR for under 4 cpm is almost impossible...MCI isn't exactly known for it's great MR capability. I echo the statement that if you got the status you needed without using too much effort, great job! I am doing a similar thing through that promotion (Plat instead) without flying anymore than I had already planned...so it works for me.

mo26 likes this.
  5. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP, I see you're in MSP... there was a MR on AA for MSP-SJU on TOBB. Don't know if it's still around...

ETA: Nope, gone :(

mo26 likes this.
  6. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends if you could see yourself flying OW in an increased capacity. If you have OW partners (with Qatar Airways added) that are priced competitively, it might be worth it. Otherwise, Platinum isn't a bad consolation prize...;)

mo26 likes this.