My first MR.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by countgary, Dec 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    Doing my first MR this weekend (sfo-bos) as I am 5k short of silver status on united. (my first status so I thought I'd go for it)
    My question is, what if a flight is delayed/cancelled due to weather? Am I sol? I have some play with later flights but was only going to be on the ground for a few hours, so not too much.

Sweet Willie and 8MiHi like this.
  2. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are several scenarios that can happen. I've encountered both on MRs.

1. Flights can be cancelled or delayed causing missed connections and possible rerouting. If this happens, you can call and have them credit you the original mileage if the cancellation or reroute is involuntary.

2. As happened to me Monday, you may be sol. You may miss a connection and possibly spend several hours in airports on layovers hoping to get home. I spent night in SAT. I wouldn't wish that on anybody but with 4 hour layover I saw no point in getting room.

3. If it is a direct flight and direct return flight, worse that can happen I would think is one leg getting delayed or cancelled and put on different flight.

Good luck.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    May I ask what you find so desirable in silver status on United? Just think of all the good uses for a weekend of your time and several hundred dollars.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    I seriously had nothing going in this weekend.

gaijin62 and 8MiHi like this.
  5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all started somewhere :)

I remember my first MR (DFW-LAX-ORD-FRA RT for AA EXP) in surprising detail. Good luck and safe travels.

6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    A true MR taken strictly for the elite miles over a short period of time can be taken as a celebration of flying. I really love them when I can slack-pack and just immerse myself in the experience.
    I took an MR in December '12 to get to Premier Platinum. It was EWR-SFO-PHX-IAH-EWR over a period of 30 hours with a $99 stay at the PHX Doubletree. UA cancelled the EWR-SFO leg when the maintenance records for that aircraft went missing. I was rebooked EWR-IAH-PHX which was hundreds of miles less than my original itinerary. I needed almost every mile so I called and was given credit for the miles of my original itinerary. I suspect you would only be SOL if you don't go.
    I say that if you enjoy the journey, the destination will be worth it. If the journey is a pain, then the reward is not likely to be enough.

countgary, gaijin62 and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go for it, I mileaged for my silver and I was happy to have some status for once! :) Mine was pretty boring, just flying from Austin to Dallas via Houston twice for the day, but it gave me the 4000 miles I needed because of the min 500 per segment. My next mileage run was for Gold the following year, so I did an Austin to Johannasburg South African round trip, and that got me the bunch I needed to cross the Gold line the first time. I think they are hilarious in some ways, you come into work after the weekend and people ask about your weekend and then they realize you have the sickness when you mention you were another continent, but just for a few hours. :)

8MiHi likes this.
  8. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    I went. Came back. Had a fun 24 hours in Boston so I'd say it was worth it. Only thing that sucked is I think I caught a cold there. (I'm not used to that cold) and the directv remote on the flight back didn't work so I couldn't watch tv. :(

8MiHi likes this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading that if you write a feedback to US Airways that the AV doesn't work, they many times will give you some points as an "I'm sorry". Can't hurt. :)