MY FIRST KIMPTON IC EXPERIENCE(S)

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by mo26, Apr 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The limited footprint had precluded me from trying out my newly matched status until a recent trip to Baltimore.

We stayed at the Monaco and it was fantastic. Great property, great staff, management, and a great IC experience!

The bloggers have already laid out the benefits, but I thought it would be worth mentioning two completely different experiences that I received.

While the Monaco on the Inner Harbor blew me away from an elite perspective, I was less than impressed with my follow-up to a second Kimpton property.

I booked a couple of nights on a "staycation" in MSP at the Grand Hotel, which I think has been under Kimpton's brand for about a year. I got a great rate, and though my travel is going to be somewhat limited, I thought a reasonable rate to get me my 3 required stays to unlock my nights at new properties was a good investment. :)

Unfortunately the Grand (with a Sunday night check-in) was just another hotel experience. No recognition of my enrollment in the program (let alone the upper tier). No welcome snacks, upgrades (hotel 20% occupied), etc.

After about 20 minutes I did go down and asked the front desk whether they had anything I might try, or should I avail myself of the mini-bar credit? The girl at the front desk said she would send something up.

An hour later two bottles of water and a note appeared. The note mentioned some chips and salsa (my snack of choice) was on the way.....Three hours later they did in fact appear.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I guess I was just so impressed with the Monaco, that I got a little spoiled!

I'm trying the Grand at the end of the week again to see if I just had some poorly trained front desk staff.

For now, I have to say that the experience can be truly impressive, or non-existent.

-MO

flyingdawg, tondoleo, viguera and 2 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at a Kimpton property in DC about a year ago but that's pretty much it... Do they have categories perhaps where you can expect "nicer" treatment or are they all pretty much the same?

And I try not to be negative myself either, but I would have complained extensively about that sort of treatment to their customer service people. I understand that it's not "earned" status because it was a status match, but they're not really giving you incentive to try to maintain it with subpar treatment -- on a paid stay at that.

I'd say if they want to keep you loyal -- especially since you have to go out of your way to stay with them because of the footprint -- then every stay should be exceptional, regardless of brand or market.

3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what i've read, I think it's all pretty even.

I figured I'd see how my second stay goes this week and then let corporate know if I still saw such a significant lack of benefit.

-MO

uggboy, flyingdawg and tondoleo like this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They primarily have what they consider 4 star properties but also some 3 star ones, one of which I stayed at in DC (Hotel Helix) and they actually provided better IC recognition than the Morrison House in Alexandria, though both offered my amenity (to the T, exactly as requested) and upgraded me to their largest suites. Both were great experiences but I could've saved about 100 bucks by staying at a Hilton. I'm really enjoying the service though and do plan to stay a few more in the future, even have 1 booked in Philly.

If i were you I would write a letter to the GM of the Grand explaining how you felt your loyalty to the chain was not honored and that it has impacted your loyalty to the Kimpton brand in the future. For a chain so deep in to the service mantra any major gap such as the on you experience should be very concerning.

5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The twitter team is quick to respond as well but agree start w/GM of property. My first stay at the Muse in NYC was fantastic - they delivered mini cupcakes, prosecco and water when I arrived. I was upgraded (winter) to rooftop balcony room which was cool for New York. I also used Facebook password for checkin perk - it was bottle of red.
    The Monaco are top hotels in chain - the Philly location just opened one and we have a Palomar too

6. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very cool to hear about all of the positive experiences!

-MO

uggboy, flyingdawg and tondoleo like this.
  7. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP here,

Just thought i'd mention that on a second stay, the property came through in a big way. IC is really quite the program!

-MO

8. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx for the info mo26. Glad to see they came through on your second stay.

uggboy and mo26 like this.
  9. jaunders1
    Original Member

jaunders1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also just got back from my first kimpton inner circle experience. I had done a status match from hyatt diamond at the begining of the year and booked a free night at the Donovan house in DC through their new hotel program. I was upgraded to a huge suite and had an all around excellent stay. I would even go as far to say that It was one of my better hotel experiences of all time. I have a full review with pictures and a video of the room on my blog: http://www.passportphysician.com/2013/05/hotel-review-donovan-house-washington-dc.html

flyingdawg, mo26 and viguera like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody have any idea what's going on with new Kimpton properties next year, for those of us that have taken the plunge?

And has there been confirmation that Inner Circle members (even those status-matched this year) will qualify for a free night at any new properties next year? I'm already eyeballing road trips / mattress runs to maximize the free 2013 nights, and it always pays to plan ahead. :)

And does anybody have a solid list of properties opening next year at that? I've been looking around and the only solid info I've seen is that they will be opening one hotel in San Antonio next year.

11. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did say (surely in response to all the new status matches) that you would have to have 3 paid stays before you could begin to avail yourself of the freebie nights.

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Three paid stays or three free nights? I thought it was nights.

13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bad. Nights, IIRC.

viguera likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Yeah that makes a huge difference... :)

I guess my only real question was whether or not being Inner Circle until 2015 means that we not only get the free award nights this year for the 6 new properties but also for new properties in 2014 (whatever those properties are).

I guess I'll reach out to them and see what they say, and whether or not they have any details on new hotels coming up next year. I'm curious about this chain though because everybody raves about them, and if their footprint starts to match my needs then I might put more eggs into this particular basket.

15. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I shouldn't have assumed you were right and backed down. (A girly trait left over from a long time ago). It is stays. Here's the text:
    As an Inner Circle member who has been enjoying our elite level benefits due to reciprocity, I hope we have delighted and satisfied you, and continue to earn your loyalty with every stay.

One of the Inner Circle perks is a complimentary night at our new hotels. We especially love this benefit because it introduces our most valued members to our new hotels and allows the hotel a chance to shine as a new Kimpton family member.

It is the spirit of Kimpton to be generous; we offer reciprocity upfront and without required stays within any specified amount of time. We will continue to do so. However, in order to participate in the Free Night at New Hotel Offer we ask that you first complete 3 eligible stays.

In essence we want you to have your cake and eat it too, but in fairness we ask a few crumbs thrown our way as well.

Rest assured, you will continue to receive all your other Inner Circle benefits: complimentary upgrades as available, personalized welcome amenities, access to our CEO, complimentary Chef's treats and so much more.

Existing complimentary reservations will be honored as of March 18, 2013. For any new reservations, we will require three stays before you are eligible for a free night booking at any of our new hotels. Please see the new hotels currently participating in this Inner Circle benefit.

If you would like to confirm if you have the required stays to book, take a look at your profile online. If you have three "eligible" stays then you are good to go! Or you can contact our Kimpton Service desk to confirm at GuestLoyalty@KimptonGroup.com or (888-695-4678).

I'm always curious how the Inner Circle experience measures up to other experiences, or what we can do to even further improve, and welcome your feedback and comments.

Thanks for understanding and we hope to welcome you back to a Kimpton soon.

viguera likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah... I couldn't find my "welcome" email and for some reason I remembered that it was nights. This changes things as I have a 3 night stay in DC coming up, but I'll change it to 1+2 to get two stays, then I'll do another one elsewhere.

Thanks

17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've stayed at the Alexandria Lorien twice. Have you tried any of the other DC properties?

18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Kimpton hasn't really been my go-to choice because they didn't have the footprint. To be honest they still don't have it, but I'll pay them attention because of the status match and maybe in the future they can line up with my needs.

As far as I can recall, my only DC Kimpton stay was at the Monaco a couple of years ago. I was properly impressed, but they weren't really offering anything at the time to sway me away from some of the bigger chains.