My First Experience with the AA Android App upgrade list

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Oct 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used the Android application for the first time this week on a mileage run to San Juan, Puerto Rico. My initial 2055 SFO-MIA, in which I cleared the upgrade list 100 hours out, took a 3 hour delay due to late arriving aircraft, so the next three flights were all rebooked.

Agent in the AC placed me on the upgrade list, but looking at my booking afterward the "request" box was not checked so I manually checked the last three flights of my itinerary. Not sure whether that really mattered or not as I've heard reports in the past that the web site does not always pick up domestic upgrade requests submitted by agents, so the requests could have already been in place.

MIA-SJU

Arrived in Miami to find I was listed as #1 of 18 on the upgrade list. Didn't help, though, as Expert Flyer was showing J0, just as it had back at SFO. Flight time just over 2 hours and slept most of the way. Display monitor was not working at gate so was nice to have the android app. This was my first time on an aircraft with the plastic middle seat insert blocking it from being assigned (don't fly in coach too much--have cleared 93% this year)-- nice to have that empty seat next to me. I also missed an upgrade on this very route about 3 weeks back. Planes are packed.

SJU-ORD
    Flight was showing J4 and I was listed as #1 of 3 on the upgrade list. About an hour before departure I bumped down to #2 of 4 on the list. Agent cleared upgrades at the gate. I met the flyer who was #1 on the list and he was a reroute from a SJU-JFK-LAX in which the first flight had a mechanical delay. His flight disruption classification moved him to the top of the list.

ORD-SFO
    Flight was showing F7 when I left SJU, but on arrival my name did not appear on the upgrade list on the android app. Upgrade list was not available when I was still on the ground in SJU. It did list about six other flyers. Went into the AC and they checked and confirmed I was not on the upgrade list, but also speculated it might have been because I had cleared. I had. Looking at the android app, it indicates a check mark should appear when you clear. Not sure what happened here as there was no indication I had cleared. Need some more experience in these situations to see what should happen.

App seemed easy enough to use and swipe screens between the different flights.