My first-ever Delta trans-Atlantic flight (BE)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by JSpira, Jun 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though Delta is one of my two airlines of choice, just two weeks ago I took my first trans-Atlantic flight on Delta metal.

With all of the comments and articles about frequent-flyer programs and Delta placing last, it's worthy of note that I planned the trip on very short notice and, roughly 2-3 weeks out, found plenty of award availability at the low (100,000 mile) end for BusinessElite on the non-stop.

It's also worthy of note that, mid-trip, Delta was nice enough to waive various rules and change my return by one day (i.e. I returned one day later) when I experienced a 24-hour bug mid trip and wanted an extra day either for recovery or to see sights that I had missed (depending on how I was feeling - and I ended up recovering very quickly and was able to enjoy the extra day).

On the other hand, I wasn't thrilled about the fact that the aircraft would be a 763 without lie-flat seats but, then again, the cradle seats were state-of-the-art a few years ago, n'est pas? The departure time (early, 17:10) was not in my preferred range (I like departures for TATL flights after 21h because I find my sleep pattern is less interupted) but this was the only non-stop.

So... about the flight. It was DL 202, JFK ARN. I was in the bulkhead and every seat was taken in BE (on the return, it was 2/3 full and I had an empty seat next to me).

The flight went smoothly, the purser was happy to accomodate my request for giving me my hot entrée while everyone else was starting with the very beginning of the meal service (in fact, I even had time for an appetizer, the gravlax, which was quite good) and I was able to try to go to sleep fairly early in the flight.

I took a lot of pictures of the aircraft empty prior to boarding as well as pictures during the flight and created several slideshows (one on the aircraft interior, section by section, one on the in-flight experience, and one on the T4 shuttle bus) for a longer review I wrote for Frequent Business Traveler. The review includes some history of the route, which dates back to PAA. (Pan Am was my first airline of choice and I was Platinum by age 19.)

I didn't really sleep much (thanks to the seats) but I hadn't counted on much sleep either, knowing what I was going to get in terms of seating. We arrived on time and I am glad I went.

Here are are a few photos from Delta BusinessElite Flight 202 New York JFK – Stockholm – Review

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pic is of a 737..I'm assuming you were on a 763 across the Pond?
    :)

Gargoyle and JSpira like this.
  3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ja, that is a shot just of Delta at T4 - as mentioned in the review (which also has a walkthru tour of the 763), it is a 763.

Gargoyle likes this.