My first economy trip report (yikes)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by kiwi, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wellington to Sydney (WLG-SYD) on Air New Zealand A320 in economy works deluxe

Another day, another OMG o'clock wakeup, another flight. Correction - I didn't have an OMG o'clock wakeup because when I realised it was almost 3 o'clock I decided there was little point in trying to sleep before heading to the airport.

violist, Gargoyle and cockpitvisit like this.
  2. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice start, hope the rest of the flight goes smoothly for you. (I hate being awake 3 am waiting for the alarm clock too)

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much traffic at this hour apart from fellow flyers on the few early early international flights. I like the sculptures on Cobham Drive - at night they are colourful and dynamic. There is a wind wand, a kinetic box thingy, fake navigation aids, the neon hula hoops.

At check in there is a small queue in premium line - for "business" (hah there is none any more), star alliance gold and koru. A bigger queue for economy, sharing the same agent. Another agent is roaming around telling people to use the check in kiosks and making sure people put their bags on the conveyor belt properly. There is an alarm and a hurried phone call when someone realises they left their wallet in the checked bag which has just disappeared through the wall.

Since I have an onward flight I cannot use the kiosk and I wait. And wait. And wait some more. I ended up waiting about half an hour before being served. Sheesh, it is all I can do to remain standing in my tired state.

I'm soon given boarding passes and the bad news that "although Qantas allows you to pay $25 departure fee at checkin, Air NZ does not and you'll have to use Travelex inside". Marks for honesty by proferring this info without being asked, but boo for the policy.

WonderBret and cockpitvisit like this.
  4. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a special reason why the NZ departure fee cannot simply be included into the ticket price, like the rest of the taxes?

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to be all NZ airports collected departure tax at the airport. The reason was the airport companies didn't want to miss out on revenue whenever they increased the rate. Yup rather lame.
    Anyway, for several years now tax for flights departing Auckland is collected at ticketing, and much more recently Christchurch either has or is about to switch. The NZ$25 tax is collected at the other international airports (Wellington, Hamilton, Rotorua, Queenstown and Dunedin), and (at a lower rate) a few domestic airports (Hamilton, Rotorua and Palmerston North).

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apologies for the delay. There wasn't much of a queue at Travelex, to pay departure tax & get the sticker, or at immigration. I managed to avoid a random wanding and walked through the duty free shop (somehow all Australia & NZ airports are incapable of allowing passengers to bypass any space that is capable of having a shop or two in it) to the lounge.

I scan my boarding pass, get the green light and enter. It was moderately full today with 2 early departures. I went into the business centre. Wellington international lounge has the business centre I like the least - it is fairly small and enclosed with glass wall and door. The warmth from the computers tends to make it stuffy, and as with all Air NZ lounge computers the first use of the day results in a compulsory reboot to update software, and a waste of 3 minutes of your time. I grabbed a juice while I waited.

By the time the flight was called the newspapers had come out so I grabbed one on my way to the gate. The (newish) layout at the gates is hopeless, and with 2 flights boarding one after the other at adjacent gates there was a mass of people in all directions with little sense of a queue (too many seats in the way and no space for a straight line to form).

eightblack likes this.
  7. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kiwi, are you telling me that there is no Business between Wellington and Sydney? How do you manage? I'd fly back to AKL and jump on EK's bird. But that's just me...[​IMG]

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Qantas has business class out of Wellington (to Sydney and Melbourne) - I've flown that recently too.
    As for going via Auckland or Christchurch on Emirates in first or business - I've flown that recently as well.

Air NZ claims hardly anyone was buying business class on Australia east coast and South Pacific flights. All I know is their competitors are happy with the sudden increase in my business.

The comparison gets worse due to some silly decisions Air NZ initially made, as you'll see once I get around to posting the actual flights.

9. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any plans to continue?

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Sorry for the interruption. My mind has been elsewhere with the deadly earthquake last week.