My first domestic US Delta flight for years- Wow! It's great!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jbcarioca, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I returned yesterday from a LGA-CMH-LGA trip on EMB175 going and EMB170 returning. I paid the princely sum of $219 for my V class return trip. It was my first trip ever on a DL FC equipped RJ, although I have lots of AA and US trips.

First, I was promptly upgraded on both legs as soon as the window opened for Diamonds.

Second, the new Dl LGA facilities are really very good, the Sky Club (what a nice Diamond perk) is sparkling and well equipped. I neither ate nor drank so cannot comment on those things.

Third, we left and returned precisely on time.

Fourth, FC on the EMB is my new short-haul favorite. Spacious, comfortable and quiet. Far betterr than the mad dog or 737. I was luckily on the 'A' side.

Fifth, courteous, efficient cabim service.

Well done Delta!:)

Gargoyle, DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you enjoyed it jbcarioca.
    I flew with DL last year a couple of times out of JFK on eastern seaboard flights (I was the rare person who actually paid for F by the way)- not too bad although the breakfast offering is pretty sad.

Gargoyle and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    See... you had to push it... now we all know you're lying. :)

Gargoyle, DeltaExpert and jbcarioca like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL's LGA terminal is much better than T2/T3 at JFK.

DeltaExpert and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You caught me out. It's true. I lied. We arrived at LGA 10 minutes before scheduled arrival time so we were not "on time":p

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's crazy, because the last time a plane arrived on time at LGA it was called North Beach Airport. :)

With that said, I haven't been to the new DL terminal out there. If it's anything like JetBlue's T5 at JFK then it should be awesome, although anything would have been an improvement.

Now if the traffic would get sorted out on the Grand Central and if US Airways would do something about their lounge, it would actually be worth flying out of LGA. :)

bez7 and jbcarioca like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which regional carrier (Delta Connection) operated the flight? I'm guessing probably Compass, which is pretty good, as are Mesaba and Pinnacle IME although they tend to fly CRJs. ASA and Comair would probably not generate complements.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week my DL mainline flight arrived about fifteen minutes early into LGA. It does happen. I've seen more delays at JFK and, postmerger, in DCA plus ATL of course.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was Shuttle America both legs.
    I thought they announced arrival at Glenn Curtiss aiport, but then I'm very old!:eek: Seriously, the Delta refurbishment is amazing. I had no idea at all such an excellent job could be done while using that building. years ago I was there at least twice per week and i was expecting more fo the same. You must try it, especially the new Sky Club. You'll never believe it could be LaGuardia.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the plane left it was going to Curtiss, but arrived at La Guardia. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there we have a new definition of "flight delays" that is reminiscent of the 'Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy' flight delay, IIRC, 25 million years with the passengers still in their seats waiting for takeoff, being awakened once each year for a snack.

viguera likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find LGA all around more easy to deal with than JFK, but the advantage is principally due to LGAs size. Beyond size, it isn't that much better than JFK.

LGA will be taking a turn for the worse when the bridge to Terminal C is built.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought Shuttle America had a bad reputation among Delta Connection carriers.

I find the DL LGA terminal OK, but I wouldn't particularly praise it. To see nice airports, try DTW, IND, RDU, PIT, SAN, MSY, or maybe SLC. I don't like the steep hill down to the gates at LGA and the terminal appears crowded although it's fairly efficient. IMO the check in counters, security areas, and baggage claim are depressing looking and I find it strange that to get between levels you must go to the far end of the terminal. The redone SC is OK (standard new DL style with the cobalt blue and chrome), but all of the small high barstools look uncomfortable and the work stations lack privacy. I've noticed traffic jams around the food island and bar. There's also an old WC that hasn't been redone and attracts fewer people as it's a bit out of the way relative to the normal path through the airport to the gates. My gate had a strange layout, with one podium quite far from the boarding podium which was tucked back and around a corner, so that at first the boarding announcement was confusing as there was no plane and I didn't see a door to the jetway.

I vaguely remember Idlewild Airport as well as Curtiss Field.

DeltaExpert, viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My rabid emthusiasm is not based upon LGA meeting the standards of SQ, CX or others. It is based on the transformation of that horrible LGA terminal. It clearly retains some of the poor features, among which is overcrowding. Who can argue that it is not a massive improvement?

Shuttle America has not had positive comments that i have been hearing, other than my experience this week.

viguera likes this.
  15. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shuttle America is fine. We are short haul flyers up and down the East Coast and they run the LGA-DCA shuttle so we get their 175s all the time.

We also were getting 175s on MIA-DCA, the longest route for those aircraft that we see and the FC comfort on those flights was outstanding. We almost always can get the bulkhead two side which has unlimited legroom. We are happy with anyone's 175 and are not pleased that they are replacing them in that last route with CR9s (although the CR9s are quite OK in FC as well).
    :) Welcome to LGA gate 3. :)

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  16. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the iPads at the gates though...

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? What did I miss?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    LGA has iPads at the first two of its gates just as JFK has installed iPads at a few of its gates as well. The LGA ones are actually pretty nice....

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For websurfing by passengers as they wait for planes or for GAs to use? Where are they? And why not ipads in the SCs instead of the old slow PCs that some SCs have? (I love the sexy white macs lined up along the windows in the NRT WCs.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ipads are for ordering food from the concessions they have installed at/near the gates (I believe they also have some games on them). At JFK, they are at Gate 15 (Terminal 3) and at Gate 21 (Terminal 2)

DeltaExpert, Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.