My first Delta flight since Song

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by dhammer53, Mar 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew JFK/LAS on the $60 R/T fare in first. I'm a (former) UA Million Miler. The last time I flew Delta was on SONG, about 8 years ago. I still have 7000 orphan miles.

I have to tell you that service was one of the best I've experienced on any transcon flight I've taken in a long long time. The flight att Andy, was practically stationed in the first class cabin, attending to our needs. I lost track of how often he came by with bottles of water. He even made 2 trips on the late flight snack tray.

I was fully intending not to like Delta. I've read about Sky Pesos (HT - Gary), and now, how The Points Guy is leaving Delta. I was surpised that this flight was packed.

While frequent flyers may not like Delta, it looked like th other 98% doesn't have a clue, or they don't care about the program.

I did credit my miles from this flight to my Alaska account. Shouldn't be a total loss. ;)

bmg42000, rwoman, Flyer1976 and 5 others like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most frequent flyers do like the Delta flight product, it's their FF program that we don't like.

mikeschu, Flyer1976, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still maintaining I have no real issues with the program yet! Time will tell, but I really think I'll be ok.

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't "sleeping around" fun?

Flyer1976 and gregm like this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure is. First I found a new LUV (WN) after I dumped UA. Now, it's a couple of Delta flights. I'm curious to see how my return flight is.

The 757 seat was more or less like UA. But give me a break on those cheap headsets?? UA wins on that.
    I thought the breakfast was a few steps up from United. And kudos to the late flight snack tray the flight attendant brought around (2x's). Milano cookies + kettle chips and a couple of other things that didn't interest me. :p

FYI, the Delta terminal at JFK was more lively + had some restaurants you could actually eat at vs T-7 and UA.
    The UA club has slightly better food offerings in the morning.

gregm likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with you as I immensely enjoy DL's flight product however credit everything over to Alaska these days. :)

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta doesn't have a lounge in LAS. I know Delta flyers know that, but I didn't. Next time I'll do some research. ;)

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go for the centurion lounge in Vegas if you have access. Either that or "the club". The only airline-run club at LAS is the united club.

Out of the club-access "transcontinental" routes den, Las, phx all lack clubs. I'd rank Las last among those in terms of needing one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, they all the FL airports have clubs. You are covered down there.
    LAS and PHX both used to have clubs. We know that LAS was shut down due to losing $ (mainly on alcohol) and I am not sure anyone knows why PHX was closed. It would be nice if PHX and DEN would have a "club light" similary to PHL.

10. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess dhammer53 found out why so many business travelers use DL. Yes, the FF plan sucks but operational reliability and service are the primary reasons to choose an airline when you consistently need to get where you are going when you need to get there.

I have "slept around" with other companies, having been top elite in two other programs before I started dealing with DL and now hide my smiles behind my hand when the UA fliers complain about RJ service on three hour flights and long delays and lots of cancellations everywhere. I do the same when the AA flyers talk about another visit from the CAAncelator.

So until things change or, as has happened before, my destinations and needs change, I will stay with DL and make whatever I can out of the crappy FF plan. BTW, I also have one of those $60 mistake fare C class transcons in June. :D

gregm and mattsteg like this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just think...based on your past travel patterns you are likely to earn more under the new system! If only that paid C trip was next year - you could earn 660 skymiles!

I've done some "sleeping around" with primarily US and AA due to the combination of them serving some destinations DL doesn't and also frequently being significantly cheaper when booked less than 2 weeks in advance - enough to make a difference in my travel budget, and occasionally UA as well (if nothing else on a $300 DUB fare...). UA was most recently an E145 for a 2:40 flight - that's a long way to fly crappy equipment. My last AA trip I sat in an E145 for over 3 hours for a 30 minute flight. Also, and this may be a product of living in a Delta hub, Delta's schedule almost always gives me an option for connections in the 0:50-1:10 time window (and in the AM in particular these are almost always reliable) while AA in particular often gives much longer connections. Domestically there's just better equipment, more reliable operations, and greater efficiency (even when comparing connections to connection). I was happy to make that tradeoff without even thinking twice when the biggest difference was the ease of use for miles vs the overall earning model (they still got me where I wanted to go, and often places where UA/US/AA miles would not get me at all). I'm less enthused about the upcoming changes - even though the bulk of my earning should stay similar I do like the ability to take a cheap trip and not earn essentially nothing from it.

12. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember even if we do lots of MQDs, some of us need those cheap long flights in order to have enough MQMs to qualify. So I for one will keep taking them since it is always a bit of a struggle for me to make the 125K.

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the worst offenders are international travel, if Global Upgrade availability ends up actually existing, for DMs at least there could be some good to outweigh the bad...but being locked-in to inferior earnings is a bit of an annoyance.

14. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the flight, a movie was available; but they had issues with the music channels. The flight leader told me that he wrote up this issue.
    When I returned home, I sent Delta an e mail asking for compensation. A few days later, I received an e mail offering 7500 miles. That's a very nice gesture. That, + my orphan miles gets me to roughly 15,000 miles in my account. I e mailed back asking for a $100 voucher instead. Shouldn't be a total loss. ;)

That of course puts me on another Delta flight. :eek: The good news is that I'll credit those flight miles to my Alaska account. ;)

Not a bad return on investment for a $60 R/T flight. Now to look for a cheap one way flight.

Flyer1976 likes this.