my first delta flight is coming up..

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by noel, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked my upcoming trip to Madrid on Delta thanks to the crazy Europe specials that were going on a few weeks ago. I booked MCI-ATL-MAD/MAD-ATL-MCI for $420ai (nothing compared to the under $200 fares, but I'm not east coast). I've always been a huge fan of AA, but I figure this should be good.

I'm wondering if there are some secrets that I should know about before I head off in a week. I've already taken advantage of the Delta SkyBonus program and have procured 10 drink tickets.

I got an email offering me a 30 day lounge pass for $90. This doesn't seem like a great deal since it doesn't give access to any lounges in MAD or MCI. But. It did get me thinking that lounge access would be pretty nice. Any genius ideas?

Anyway, I am pretty pumped about trying a new airline and getting back to Spain. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also buy single visit and day passes to DL lounges. If you have a regular AmEx Platinum charge card (not the DL AmEx), you get lounge access on the day of flight (both before and after your flights) for free, just show your AmEx Plat Card and DL boarding pass to the lounge dragon. You must be flying on DL metal and it must be a regular DL lounge, not a contract lounge. DL lounges not longer honor Priority Pass, but there might be lounges in your airports that do, for example IIRC the CO lounge in ATL.

Be sure to reserve your seat in advance. You can normally do OLCI 24 hours before your first flight, which saves money on checking a bag as well as time at the airport. Be sure to monitor your flight status on line also.

3. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AmEx Platinum seems like a really great deal, especially with the 50,000 MR signup bonus. But I don't have it and wouldn't be able to get it in time for this trip. Maybe for the next trip..

I'll be sure to do the regular OLCI and flight monitoring and I picked out some quality seats with the help of seatguru. I am looking forward to the included usb port in my seat. That should keep my ipod alive across the Atlantic.

Thanks for the tips!

4. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noel -- you get free beer and wine in Y on TransAtlantic so not sure if drink coupons needed -- obviously for spirits they will be handy. Ask at check-in if exit row or bulkhead is available, and check with seatguru to make sure you're okay with the seats you have.

5. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind the MR deal is VERY fast almost instant. Follow INGY's blog directions

http://frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/search?q=delta+silver+status

and once approved you can have the card overnighted and get instant access to 60k in MR and get SILVER status, 25% bonus miles on the flight, EXIT row seats etc etc. Plus lounge access in USA. Then look for other FT'er for access when over there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...club-meeting-thread-see-index-first-post.html

6. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Free beer and wine in Y?! Wow. I thought things like that had faded from existence. I guess I won't be needing as many drink coupons..

I think I'm going to just end up slumming it without status. I doubt I'll be flying Delta again anytime soon (I'm reaching for AA lifetime gold) so it's probably not worth obtaining status for one flight.

The SkyClub thread is pretty amazing. I'll be keeping an eye on that looking for some friendly FTers.

With all this help, my first Delta experience is looking to be a good one.

7. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:

PM me at FT for even more help.... I have some very good idea's!

deltagoldflyer