my first churn

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jpruzins, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Working through my first churn today...I'd like to try for 4 cards.

Trying to stay away from Chase cards (even though I'd love to get a Sapphire!)
    I applied for Citi Hilton Honors for 40k and Delta Suntrust 5k Checking so far.
    I'd like to get some AMEX Membership rewards points. I currently do not have any of those cards.

I already have Chase Continental and Starwood/Hilton Amex. I have excellent credit to work with.

Any suggestions? What's the best bang for my buck out there right now?

2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try checking out the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card. I think they are still matching to 75k, but check out the threads in the CC section to double check.

Also, why are you not applying for the Sapphire? If you have good credit its a great card to have: no forex, 50k bonus (+ possible 50k bump)... lots of great opportunities to be had there in my opinion.

Good luck!

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Long story on Chase. Here's the short: I applied for Marriott Rewards Card. Got the card. Did not activate. Then I saw the Premier had just bumped the bonus, so the rep told me to cancel the first card (no penalty since I was in a 30 day window) and apply for Premier. I was denied for Premier - something about amount of available credit open vs. my income. Chase had a hard pull on my credit report. This all occurred before June 1 - mid May period. Not sure if its safe to apply for Chase again.

4. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you decide to go with the AMEX Membership Rewards card you still have a few options. For my money, I would go for either the double Hawaii cards (2 @ 35,000 each) or get started on the Alaskan Air cards. These should be easy churns.

savydog likes this.
  5. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is what I ended up with:
    Amex Delta 40k (Approved)
    Chase Sapphire (I went for it - pending approval)
    Citibank Hilton Visa 40K
    Suntrust Delta Savings for 5k
    and Hawaiian Airlines 35k

I may hold off for next round for Amex.

savydog, jbcarioca and MyMiles&Points like this.
  6. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    That looks like a very good haul. Especially considering the Hilton card automatically provides Silver status. I also had a pending on the Saphire, the wait is killing me. Congrats on a successful churn.

savydog likes this.
  7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a pending on the Sapphire, called the next day, spoke with a CSR and after a few question got instant approval. Think it is probably worth making that call. In my case they just wanted to move some credit lines.

8. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good haul! Do you already have the Citi AA 75,000 AAdvantage mile cards?

savydog and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was gonna mention these. I find this to be one of the best promos still out there considering the flexibility of AA miles.

savydog and Million Mile Secrets like this.
  10. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    The AA cards have THE largest currently available sign-up bonus of 75,000 AA miles for a non-targeted card. I believe that everyone should get these first, and then move on to other cards.

savydog and JohnDeere19 like this.
  11. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any new reports of people being able to double dip these cards recently if they got them earlier on in the promotion?

savydog likes this.
  12. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unless you're holding out for another round of 100,000 AA offer cards (like those offered during Fall 2010) now that the churning rules are a little more difficult and arbitrary.

savydog likes this.
  13. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not yet - I don't usually fly American.

hulagrrl210 and savydog like this.
  14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a worthwhile card. Its worth either 3 domestic RT on AA in Coach or even better build up a bit more mileage and fly to Europe/Asia with those miles in J. And that's only the beginning of possibilities. I have found AA miles to be very useful!

savydog likes this.
  15. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know - I do like international travel. I wonder if I can pull off another Citi card in this round of applications.

savydog likes this.
  16. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to ask about the AA cards as well but Million Mile Secrets got to it before me.

I never fly AA but I reached $4K spend on one card already so should be receiving 75K miles soon. Debating if I want to sign up for a Business card in a few weeks for an additional 75K miles for a measly $1.5K spend. I say measly since I had to do TWO $4K spends.

The redemption with AA miles are great since you get to redeem on CX's awesome F cabin and QF's new F cabin on the A380. There are multiple trip reports but I recommend reading lucky's recent blog post on QF's F cabin.

Redeeming on AA metal shouldn't even be thought of unless its for a positioning flight for your long-haul on QF or CX :) BA is great too but the high YQ and taxes/fees makes it unattractive. Yes, the award ticket is A LOT cheaper than buying a F ticket but still you can get a CX F ticket for less than $100.

17. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    As everyone else has mentioned, you don't have to usually fly AA to take advantage of this great deal! It is the largest sign-up bonus available right now, and you can get 150K AA miles if you apply for both the Visa and Amex versions at the same time using different browsers.

150K AA miles is 6 domestic coach tickets or a First Class ticket to almost anywhere on some great partner airlines like BA, Jet and Cathay Pacific! It might be worth considering for you next churn.

savydog likes this.
  18. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cards have arrived - time to spend.
    Still waiting on chase sapphire. :X

savydog and Jimgotkp like this.
  19. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a fan of waiting for Chase to make a decision on the Sapphire card.... Considering if I want to apply for it though... However, I'm waiting for this "big bonus" on the AMEX SPG card first.

savydog likes this.
  20. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got my Chase rejection letter:

"too many requests for credit or accounts opened with us" :(

21. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't give up. Call the reconsideration line. Do you have other cards with them that you can have you limit lowered on?

22. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking & Savings acct plus Continental Onepass card.
    I had the same rejection letter back in April when I applied for Mariott cards.

23. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're willing to lower your limit on the CO card I would call and say you want to have some of the credit moved over. See if they'll budge a bit.

24. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear!

Now this scares me too :( I have 2 Checking accounts and an Amtrak and Freedom card..

25. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase has been the only one that I had any difficulty with. When I applied for the British Air card I had to call them and move some credit around (I moved it from the Continental card since I don't use that anymore). Once I did that it was approved. Getting the miles was another story since they didn't use my FF# and it took weeks to resolve that issue. I'm now holding my breath on getting the other 50,000 miles since I've just completed the $2500 spend.

I haven't done much churning of cards but did apply for a number of them between last fall and this spring so I figure it might be safe to wait until the fall. My credit is excellent (just was approved for a refi from a credit union that is usually pretty conservative on loans) but I don't want to push things too far.

I've received: Continental, Starwood, Hyatt, AA (AmExp and Visa), BA and cancelled my Diners Club (tired of paying that fee and they wouldn't lower it, not to mention it was one of only two cards that have ever lowered a credit limit - A wells fargo card was the other one).

My only issue is the average age of accounts. The DC card was one of my older ones.

I'd like to apply for the Sapphire Card but that is another Chase card.