My first AOR of 2013

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Ed Chandler, Jan 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

FINALLY, the last card from this AOR came through! I’ve had a few requests to talk about my results and how each card plays into my plans, so here you go (in no particular order):

1) AMEX Blue for Business with OPEN
    It’s a no-fee card that earns Membership Rewards (MR) points. I have a stack of MR points from my AMEX Plat, and I may eventually cancel it. If I do, and I don’t have any other MR-earning cards, those points would disappear – that’s bad. This card has no fee, so I can stick it in a drawer and know that my MR points are safe whether I continue to pay the fees on other MR-earning cards or not. Access to the OPEN benefits is just gravy on this one.

2) US Bank Club Carlson Business Rewards VISA
    This one was a no-brainer even if I didn’t have a plan. Even if the only benefit was the 40k-point anniversary bonus, that’s easily worth more than the $60 annual fee. However, there is a plan: I have a big stack of Club Carlson Gold Points (GP) from those “stay once, get 50k” promos they had last year. The 85k sign-up bonus for the card (after spend) is generous, but the big draw on this card was the “last night free” benefit and the gold status. That amounts to 50% off redemptions on two-day stays. We rarely stay put longer than that and we don’t mind “hopping” hotels mid-trip if it’s worth our while. I know I’m going to be staying at a Radisson at least one night per year for an annual event my wife and I attend. Now I can make that a two-nighter for no additional cost. In addition, we’re going to Spain in March and Thailand/The Philippines in October – guess who has properties in Madrid and Bangkok? Why did I get the business card instead of the “preferred” personal card? It has the same benefits (useful ones, anyway) for $15 less per year.

3) Citi HHonors Reserve Signature VISA
    Hilton is my “go-to” brand. I have a stack of points and regularly rake in more. I don’t get to travel enough to “earn” status so, the Hilton gold status is worth the $95 annual fee by itself. I figure if my wife and I stay only four nights per year, the free breakfasts put me “in the money”, to say nothing of free internet and possible upgrades. The card also comes (after spend) with two free weekend nights at almost any Hilton property worldwide. Those certificates won’t arrive in time to help with Spain, but we’ll probably use them in Thailand later this year. You can earn an annual free weekend night with sufficient spending, and if that ends up happening then that covers the annual fee right there.

4) US Bank Cash+ VISA
    This is a no-fee, non-Chase, non-Citi card that earns generous cash back in categories I can use. (Lowe’s has a good selection of gift cards.) I’ve seen grumblings about a major devaluation coming to this card very soon, but I’d applied before those began to surface so we’ll see how that goes. Still – no fee, no foul. This was an in-branch application, so I made sure I had time that same night to do the rest of these applications online.

5) Chase Sapphire Preferred MasterCard
    With a 40k UR bonus (after spend) this card is a no-brainer for the first year. I went for the MasterCard version because I had the VISA version recently and cancelled after the first year. (It also helps that Sam’s Club only takes MasterCard). I’ve already done deep analysis of its benefits here.

That’s it. Bring on the discussion. What do you like? What would you have done differently? etc.

merice107 likes this.
  2. chasingthepoints

chasingthepoints Active Member

Status Points:
    I spoke to a Chase rep awhile ago on the SP Mastercard and there was an United card (outright) that Chase offers for Mastercard World Elite if that is something you're looking for. World Elite isn't given out right away, but if Chase thinks you're a good customer they'd give it to you as far as my understanding was. Sounds similar to AMEX Centurion to me

Also, you could try sending a secure message to Chase on a 70k offer for the SP.. When I activated the card, I inquired about it, and the rep told me she didn't see too many people with a 70k sign up bonus and most of those customers had a lot of assets with Chase. I'm thinking they are a CPC (Chase Private Client).

In the message, by the way this is something I would never do... but you could try, "my banker told me that I was eligible for a 70k sign up bonus, but I only see a 40k bonus, could you tell me why?" and work from there. Big caveat to that is if they ever find out who that "banker" is, they would get into a lot of trouble, so much that it's possible grounds for termination..

3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I surely appreciate the advice, but I'm not that good of a customer. ;)