My FF number on ticket - I am not flying - how does this happen?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by cheryld, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I have never had this happen before, but maybe others have. I was holding a few flights on my AA account. Went back in to check the hold date and found a flight that I didn't book which had been ticketed.

What freaked me out initially was the value of the ticket (for 3 people) was over $3000. After I calmed down, I could see that the ticket had been booked with an exchange. Another person was first on the reservation and responsible for the booking. I do not know the other 2 people I am supposedly flying with. It was booked in F and while it would be nice to fly and earn miles....this ticket was obviously meant for someone else.

I called AA - as I was concerned first for the security of my account and also for the person who had booked and paid for the original ticket.

As far as they could tell, when the person booking the ticket gave 'my' name...the booking agent asked if they knew the AA#. When the answer was no, they searched the system..found me and put my number in.

I do not understand why more care isn't taken when this type of scenario occurs. Every time I call in, I am asked for my name, address and email address. Why wasn't the address at least verified before entering my number?

My AA# is now removed from the ticket. Is there anything else I should do? Posted this on FT as well and will update this thread with any pertinent info for future reference.

Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing to worry about.

3. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if you still have the record locater, you should go to aa.com and put your AA# back in. What were you thinking?:)

cheryld and Jaimito Cartero like this.
  4. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, for one, doing so would make me very uncomfortable..not exactly honest. Also, when the other 'me' checks in..she would have my ff# on her boarding pass. :-o