my Delta experience, they should be embarrassed about their 3rd rate product

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jonspencer, Jan 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    in another thread a few MPer's came to the defense of Delta............. not sure why, they must not get out much?

I paid USD 60 to check two bags (which was fine) but then the moment I board their dinosaur McDonnell Douglas plane for ATL - ORD flight, I repeatedly hear the flight is fully booked and there is not enough room in the overhead bins for carry-ons (why is this my problem?), you must put items under you seat etc etc ad nauseam

this is one key reason why 20-some year old planes do not cut it in today's market, they were not designed for today's traveller

then they wanted to check my carry-on (that met dimension requirements) and I told them so sorry I had a new computer + a tablet + camera equipment + Xmas gifts. if the airline lost my bag, they would claim that under the Warsaw Convention they are only required to give $300 or some such nonsense................. seemed like a really bad idea

Delta was clearly doing me a favor by letting me keep my carry-on, the flight attendants quickly scurried back to the galley to eat and play video games on their mobile phones

In general I dread having to fly USA-based airlines but many of us travel for work and have no choice but to travel on the carriers flying the route

I kind of hijacked daninstl's Delta thread and was attacked by some Delta fanboys, so this is my own personal rant

on their worst day with their worst crew and plane, I would gladly take Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad or Singapore flight over Delta, AA or United

there are airlines where you are welcomed aboard, flight attendants are actually friendly and you do not need to pay extra for baggage, earphones, snacks........... and the tickets are similarly priced per mile flown

some other silly poster on MP said I could not compare Emirates or Singapore to USA-based airlines due to legacy issues and different markets? nonsense, of course I can

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    uggboy and MX like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How old is that dinosaur motorbike in your avatar?

Wait, don't answer. Welcome to my "Life is too short" list.

MX likes this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    glad you like my bike ;-)

were you somehow going to compare it to an airplane ? :eek:

uggboy and MX like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You compare whatever you want its your thread, your opinion ..thankfully most posters do not find the need to inform us (over and over again) of the obvious in the travel world
    Its what it is man up and deal with it.
    Not to mention the silliness regarding " Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad or Singapore" since when do they fly ATL/ORD???? ... but hey its your rant, being realistic and relevant . it not important.

But I put to you what sort of response would actually expect when you start off by calling people " Delta fanboys"??? or are just trolling? or do you desperately feel the need to have somebody agree with you ?:rolleyes:

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the checked bag fees, OP seems to have been flying domestic coach on DL without status. The GA offered to check a carry on piece but allowed OP to board, where apparently there was space for it (found/created by a FA in the bin? or did it fit and was it placed under the seat?). FAs ate food on board and made quiet use of their time when they weren't busy with FA duties. Fees are as stated on delta.dumb. It's hard to see a problem here.

Airfares are based on supply and demand, not miles flown. Different carriers have different cultural expectations of service/attitudes and well as different wage structures and treatment of employees. [Most USA carriers prohibit FAs from helping to place bags in overhead bins due to the risk of injury, while mideastern and Asian airline employees can often be fired instantly for any reason. Females must quit upon reaching some specified relatively young age and FA duties are differentiated based on gender, which doesn't sound good to me.]

I've witnessed SQ GAs standing in jetways and demanding to weigh carryon. Anyone with a piece that exceeded their IMO ridiculously low weight limit for carryon luggage was berated and forced to check the bag. QF also rants and raves about heavy carryon pieces that will go under the seat.

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so Deltalicious. :(

jonspencer likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the rants come from personal experiences though, and I'm sure in the case of the OP they're justified for his situation -- not everyone gets to cross the Atlantic in a flying bed while sipping Krug, and you have to base your opinion of a particular airline on your experiences with them.

For me, personally, Delta has been atrocious, to the point that I decided to stop flying with them altogether after their second screw up last year (no-notice cx that almost left me stranded in San Diego). Not to mention that they continue to fly MD-88s on the routes from New York to Florida, and the move (for me) was easy.

But like I said, you speak with your wallet. If you hate a particular airline, take your money elsewhere.

flyforawg, MX and jonspencer like this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly you can voice any opinion you want. Whether or not your opinion is taken seriously is entirely another matter.

Every airline you speak of funnels all their traffic through a megahub. None of them serve multiple hubs in a country of over 300 million people. It does make a difference in terms of what you fly; it would be insanely stupid for Delta to fly widebodies to all their markets like EK does.

There are airlines based out of Dubai and Singapore that charge for checked luggage, incidentally, it appears you choose different airlines. There's also one with significant service out of Atlanta that doesn't. I guess you chose the wrong airline?

A lot of people like Mad Dogs without slimline seating and a 2-3 coach cabin configuration, since that leaves you with only 20% middle seats instead of 33%... ;)

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of those, only Qatar and Etihad even have planes (of any age) to perform the same mission as the MDs. Not only are you comparing airlines operating in vastly different markets, half of them don't even have the equipment to fly similar routes at all!

And do you really want to spend 28 hours straight in 10 across, 31 in pitch coach on a 777, including 12 hours on the ground with no food? I don't know about you, but I'd rather go with 9 across on Delta, with the option to get a bit more legroom pretty cheaply.

I passed on the cheap Etihad tickets recently expressly because their economy product is not attractive.
    No, they are the airlines that are government invested and/or subsidized.

Delta (and other US airlines) offer free bags as well, in cases where they are flying an equivalent route. Free earphones and snacks too. Delta (and again, other us airlines as well) also offers a much more generous cabin baggage allowance. There is a good chance that you would not have had a legal carry-on for the others you cite.
    Well, in your own little world you can do whatever you want. That doesn't mean it makes sense, and certainly not in the manner you go about it.

If you want, feel free to compare in similar markets - and with airlines that are essentially longhaul/widebody only that means comparing longhaul. Yes, the foreign carriers can often be a more attractive option, but not with a clean sweep. In some ways they are worse, and many of the advantages you cite above just don't exist. e.g. Emirates and others have 10-across coach seating on the 777, carry-on allowances are tiny, no point to point routes. Earbuds are free, snacks are free, bag free, amenity/sleep kit free etc. in coach

In business, Delta is at this point I believe at 100% flat bed with direct aisle access. Some of the airlines you list are 2-2-2 angled-flat on some equipment.

And you discount the importance of networks and markets, but there's both a value and a cost to maintaining a large, multi-hub network vs. cherry-picking to serve only long haul routes with all-widebody fleets.

MX and eponymous_coward like this.
  10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I visit the greatest country on earth, pay the going rate to fly on a major carrier only to later be herded on to a 30+ year old aircraft manned by some unfriendly old hags as the crew :confused:

my comments here are labelled as crap by some fanboy singing the praises of this garbage offering and telling me to man up, accept this sub-par product like everyone else :eek:

that is simply not going to happen

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    MX and uggboy like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look forward to your future flying on Southwest, which flies out of Atlanta to Chicago, doesn't charge bag fees, and doesn't fly 30+ year old MD-88s.

There are different choices out there.

viguera, uggboy and jonspencer like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, because new airplanes don't also have full bins. Oh, wait.
    The Warsaw convention only applies on international trips. So good luck with that.

13. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    and another fanboy chimes in :eek:

uggboy likes this.
  14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like thought this was just another feeble mind attempt at trolling ( not your first on these board I might add:rolleyes: )
    Who gives a horse's posterior what happens to you. Just like I thought your post was just a cynical attempt at trolling .. not the first time on these boards I might add.:rolleyes:

15. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you were doing what to a horse's posterior? :eek:

not sure this is right forum for your private animal tricks

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Muahaha! Awesome! Well, OP, you've experienced DL hard product including MD-90/88s. And fAnBois/GirLs. So far, so bad.

But your experience of this airline is far from complete. Because it doesn't seem that you have attempted to use your accrued DL SkyMiles. When you do, then, yes, you will truly understand what it means. When DL calls itself what it is. You will see that no corporate slogan has ever been, or could ever be, more accurate than the one trumpeted by Jeff R. himself. It's the only information DL has ever published about its SM program that can be relied on, now and forever.

Je suis Charlie.