My day trips out of Singapore (Phuket, Bali, Jakarta, Manila, Cebu... etc.)

Discussion in 'Asia' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks... I'd like to put this post out there to solicit ideas and any recommendations, advice, things to beware of, must-do's, etc. for my upcoming day trips to various destinations around the South East Asia.

First, I'm off to Kuala Lumpur for a day on March 7th... first flight out and one of the last flights back... pretty determined to get to the bridge on the Petronas Towers this time as I overslept my opportunity to do it last time I was in town. Someone suggested there is a much higher observation deck now open on one of the towers... any other ideas for a day visit? I should be meeting up with people on CouchSurfing if anybody shows up. And I plan to buy a SIM card on the Air Asia plane to have a local Malaysian phone #.

Next I'm off to Phuket, Thailand for 3 days. Middle of the week departure and Friday night return. I will more than likely spend my time in Rawai the southernmost point of the island, as one CS'er offered a place to stay there. But I do want to explore the island and possibly go on a snorkeling or island hopping tour from there, if I can meet other travelers my age so I'm not doing it solo.

The Bali trip is a bit weird, I jumped on the German Expedia.de coupon promo and booked a Qatar flight + cheapo hotel combo for a day trip visit. I have no clue what to do in Bali, but a similar arrangement of snorkeling or island discovery tours would be great.

The Philipines trip is not until May and I have yet to plan what to do for 3 days in Cebu and 2 day weekend in Manila. Suggestions are welcome.

The Jakarta trip is July, again way out there but also for only a day... first flight out and last flight back on the same day. I heard Jakarta is just a big dirty city so besides a walking tour + some food sampling I'm not planning to do much more than that.

I'm sure I'll add to this post as I move to Singapore and book more last minute cheapo getaways around the region.

thanks in advance for your input!

--Russ

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's an odd title as only 1 trip is a 'day trip'.

3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used this guy in bali http://balitraditionaltours.com/about_us.php He has some suggested tours but is very flexible. Nyoman is just starting out in business, he studied English in university and is very proud to show you his country. As he lives with his parents in Ubud he has a great knowledge of that area.

Some of the pics I took on the 2 day tours with him I have posted here http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/bali-photos.3328/ I did two separate days with him and had a few days break to just relax in between these. Cost was around AUD$80 each day. Picked up at 8.30 am dropped back to the hotel around 6pm so he put in a few hours work.

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  4. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty ridiculous to try to do Bali in a day, but if you do it, the absolute last thing I'd do is snorkel. Bali has gorgeous rice field tiered landscapes, interesting temples, some interesting traditions (fire dance), a monkey forest etc. You can snorkel anywhere. If you go for a short trip, see Bali, don't snorkel

And I strongly recommend AGAINST doing it for a day. It's not enough time.

By the way in Phuket (and especially Koh Phi Phi) it's easy to find snorkeling trips but you are going to be rushed on time. To do it from Koh Phi Phi you usually go to the island, sign up for a trip the next day (which is easy) and come back the third day. You may be able to do it from Phuket itself though too.

TrueBlueFlyer and savydog like this.
  5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ridiculous, yes.... but that's what I booked so I'll deal with it.

I'm more looking forward to flying Qatar airways for the first time than the actual island of Bali itself... call me crazy, I don't care.

thank you for your useful input as always! I will concentrate my snorkeling on Phuket as I'm there for three days (not one day as I misleadingly pointed out in my very poorly worded thread title) and do all the cultural stuff in Bali instead.

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your goal is to wander a bit around Phuket you might consider renting a car. Distances are great and taxi are organized... against you. For $50 a day you can travel at your discretion.

7. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I will consider it.

I may cancel the Bali trip if Expedia.de refuses to honor its €70 coupon code, which shows up on my confirmation email but not on the CC statement.

I will definitely attempt another shot at it, but probably not on a 777.

8. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rereading my post on Bali, I sounded a bit harsh, so I apologize for that. You could do a circuit of the island. My personal highlights include the park on Monkey Forest Road in Ubud, the terraced rice fields but there are lots of others. I believe the fire dance show is at night, but there may be one during the day.

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  9. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    hey don't sweat it, what reasonable person would do such a day trip anyway?

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy to get caught in bad traffic jams in Bali, including on the way to/from the airport. Even though the distances are fairly small and taxis sometimes drive fast/crazy, allow time for narrow winding roads, construction, accidents, and processions blocking narrow streets in villages.

If you only have a day, you can't see even all of the major temples around the island, but you should pick several that interest you along a sensible route. Don't miss a place with monkeys if you're interested.

Visitors to Bali should be aware that the island is experiencing a rabies epidemic with about two hundred human deaths. Avoid the ubiquitous stray dogs and be cautious around the monkeys.