My cousin is stuck in the USA or maybe this should be my cousin is an idiot

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MissBurrill, Oct 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a gold member of MP I am embarrassed to be writing this post. My cousin is an adult and has gotten himself in this mess. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.......

My cousin met a woman on the interweb and flew from Australia to the USA. He was having so much fun that he decided to miss his flight home and overstay his ESTA. Cousin and woman broke up. He is now posting on facebook that he needs to get home. He didn't bother to take much spending money.

He was surprised that the airline won't fly him home two months after they were meant to. Um, sometimes I think there needs to be an IQ test to travel. I know that if I miss a flight I will have to pay for a new one. But he thought he could just rock up two months late and be allowed on board......

His next grand plan was to go to LAX and ask to be deported. 'No' was the answer. Someone told him he has to go to an office in downtown LA and they can deport him.

It is tempting to buy him a plane ticket but that won't teach him anything. I forgot to mention my cousin is about 40 years old so he is old enough to know better. His parents aren't in a position to spend that kind of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my cousin? Feel free to call him an idiot. I'm not doing that on fb but I am here. Please don't call me names, I'm just trying to be a helpful cousin.

zpaul, iolaire, Espan and 1 other person like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be worth it for your cousin to renew that ESTA (or whatever is needed to keep him legal). I recall from a documentary that DHS keeps illegals in very unpleasant detention camps until there are enough from a given country to warrant a deportation flight. I doubt there will ever be enough illegal Australians for such a flight.

zpaul, Newscience, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  3. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you M7VO. He seems to think that if he asks to be deported he gets put on the next flight home. I better let him know it won't be like that.

I'm not sure about the ability to renew an ESTA. My understanding is you need to return home/leave North America. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong on that one.

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that sounds right. One has to return to the home country, then wait a certain period.

Has he contacted an Australian counsulate for advice or assistance? Maybe that would require a bit more personal responsibility than an outright family bailout.

zpaul, Newscience, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  5. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's another clever idea. I will suggest that now.

zpaul, Newscience, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. He should not ask for deportation. He's likely to get flagged for overstaying or not complying to his visa. Best thing for him to do is buy a ticket and (quietly) get the hell out of of dodge and go home. He could face difficulties ever returning to the USA if any of this gets on immigration/ICE radar.

And for crying out loud, don't visit someone you've met on the interwebs until you are sure it's a long-term, solid, relationship (translation, if they are still with you after a year or more, then maybe have a neutral meeting point then see where things go). :eek:

7. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have a word with my parents and let them know about their nephew's predicament. See if they will give him the money. There is not likelihood of this cousin repaying. He moves from job to job so when he returns will have to find somewhere to live and work......

zpaul, Newscience and YULtide like this.
  8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    A permanent flag on a passport is more detrimental for him ever flying back to this country, and possibly others. I understand he's made a bad call here, but get him home ASAP then figure the rest out. If he is so unreliable as you say, make it clear that next time he pulls this stunt, he will be left to fend for himself in immigration holding cells until he learns his lesson.

zpaul, IDGflygirl, MX and 4 others like this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that may be the better course of action. I'm not sure how Australia handles such matters, but some countries have a "distressed ctizen" program where if one of their nationals is stranded in a foreign country without funds to purchase a ticket home, they'll get him home (and he owes them the funds -- just an advance not a gift). Once home, he'll find he has to repay the money, and as a government they usually have ways (seizing tax refunds, etc.) to make sure they get it.

The theory is not just aiding their lost national, but also making it painful enough to be sure the lesson takes.

zpaul, B1BomberVB, IDGflygirl and 7 others like this.
  10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    To say nothing of the possibility of getting a new job.

DTWBOB

11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a sad state of affairs that it's possible for someone today to grow into their 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond, and never reach mental and emotional maturity. World War II was fought and won by millions of Aussie, Brit, and American (to name a few countries) soldiers, most of them either teenagers or barely out of their teens. The decline in normative standards for maturity and responsibility in Western culture is perceptible. It's hard to believe that you could do anything for your cousin that would prevent him from ending up in a similar situation, unless he wanted to change of his own volition.

zpaul, ella, IDGflygirl and 4 others like this.
  12. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

As others have said, the less fuss your cousin makes, the better it is.

- Get him to fly home
    - With the improved tracking of foreign visitors, it is likely that US Immigration will have him flagged for overstaying and he could face trouble on any future visit to the US. (Example: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22263392/)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

zpaul, IDGflygirl, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there are two choices:
    1. Get someone to lend him the money for a ticket home, preferably someone with the leverage to get him to pay it back, possibly with interest. Are there loan sharks in Australia? Otherwise, he can present himself at the Australian consulate and see what they can do for him (if they fly him home, they will definitely make him pay for it).
    2. Do nothing and let immigration catch up with him and deport him.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    zpaul, MX, MissBurrill and 2 others like this.
  16. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    $883 LAX-xAKL-SYD on NZ. Cheaper than a week in LA sorting things out.

zpaul, B1BomberVB, MX and 5 others like this.
  17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps there may be agencies (religious or otherwise) that can help someone in such a situation. I would check both here and in Australia for some help.

If not, I would certainly get him out of here ASAP. or he will never be allowed back here again.

zpaul, B1BomberVB, IDGflygirl and 4 others like this.
  18. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for your clever suggestions. I will start by saying that I've just woken up and my cousin has posted on FB that he was not caught up in the shooting at LAX. I have't looked at any news but he is safe.

He has contacted our consulate who have said they are unable to assist him with funds. I will call my parents and suggest that Mum calls her brother. They can discuss the situation.

I am sorry this is short, I'm off to the gym this morning.

anileze, marcwint55 and Newscience like this.
  19. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope everything works out for everybody !! Good Luck !!!!

20. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggested Air New Zealand to my cousin. He was happy to learn they are cheaper than Qantas and United.

The latest update is that he is trying to crowd fund. Not only has he posted that his visa has expired but also his name on the website. AND he's asked for $2000. Mmm, I guess he does have to get back to where he lives in Oz. No idea where that is.......

zpaul and B1BomberVB like this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got a link? I am curious to see how crowd funding works out as an alternative way to earn free travel. ;)

zpaul, Counsellor and MissBurrill like this.
  22. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    He's on the Go Fund Me website. I've just linked to the home page, not to my cousin.

zpaul and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that he is web savvy enough to know about crowd funding, but doesn't seem to be able to keep a job (cause with being this savvy he should have enough smarts to get paid for something ;))

zpaul, B1BomberVB, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  24. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Or you might point out that a return ticket could be cheaper than a 1-way fare ...

GenevaFlyer

zpaul, Newscience and MissBurrill like this.
  25. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    There must be some discount brokers, or consolidators in LA area that might get him a cheap fare via MNL ? He should look for them in the ethnic enclaves or local newspapers targeted at those communities ? Sometimes non-stop is more expensive than one-or-two stop flights.

zpaul, B1BomberVB, MX and 2 others like this.