My Award Taxes And Fees Are How Much?!?!

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Dec 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Unlike Ben, I don’t have a “sixth sense” when it comes to pricing fuel surcharges. Nine times out of ten he can guess the taxes and fees on a given award within $15, which is a pretty cool party trick. I do, however, have a good “general sense” of how much things should costs, particularly when dealing with an airline that doesn’t impose fuel surcharges. When you eliminate fuel surcharges, you’re mainly dealing with the government-imposed taxes, which are pretty consistent. Most airlines have a computer that prices award tickets. The computer validates the routing against the published rules, calculates the taxes and fees from the published fare, and totals the final price for the agent. Barring that, airlines have a rates desk, which is typically the powerhouse of the airline. This is a powerful component of the operation, and you generally find the best and brightest agents staffing the rates desk. What they say pretty much goes, and front line agents seem to be taught to treat their word as law. And then there’s US Airways. The post My Award Taxes And Fees Are How Much?!?! appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...