My AA credit card story of woe (woe is me)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by dhammer53, Jun 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

I received my new AA platinum card in the mail a couple of days after I was approved. Wow. Pretty fast I thought. This card would generate 50,000 miles for $3000 in spend in 3 months, with no fee the first year. Cool.

Due to some 'expected' spending (not MS), I reached the $3000 goal withing the first 2.5 weeks of having the card. Sock drawer here I come.

When my bill came in the mail (pretty fast I thought), I noticed the annual fee was charged. Now hold on a second. I thought this was a free card? I called Citibank and they told me I had this card 8 years, and I had to pay the renewal fee?? Excuse me, but now I was confused. The card that came in the mail was a replacement card to an already owned card, since the expiration date was fast approaching. I ended up doing the spend unnecessarily. :rolleyes: The card said Platinum and had a new look vs the old card. I had no clue. I had no reason to expect a replacement card to arrive days before my new card.

In the same batch of mail I was opening to do my monthly checks, I saw the new card. :eek:

I finally spoke to someone in South Dakota who was sympathetic, but she still couldn't transfer the spend from the old card to the new one. So today, I'm back at square one with having to spend $3000 in 90 days to get 50,000 points. I'll do this without MS.

What are the odds that a replacement card will come when I'm expecting my new card? Might as well go buy lottery tickets.

Consolation prize
    She waived the $95 fee as long as I spend $95 on the card within 60 days. Also... She had an offer that if I spend $1000 in a month in the next 16 billing cycles, I'll earn a 1000 mile bonus, for a maximum of 16,000 miles. Looks like I win in the long run, but oh so frustrating today.

I post this for your amusement, and as a 1 in a 1,000,000 warning to the next unsuspecting person.

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

I will be watching closely,

Mine did not come in the mail fast, they sent me a letter first..,about a week later the card came...

All I want is the miles...:rolleyes: