My 1st use of TSA Precheck, on a 1-10 scale...

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by kansaskeith, Apr 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    was about a 15!

Just now, before an AA flight out of LAS.

Time from start to finish: estimated 45 seconds, and that was only because the TSA agent, who called me by name two separate times, "walked me through" as a first timer. Otherwise it would have been even quicker. Meantime the regular, and even Priority AAcess , lines were backed up to beat the band. So now I am at the gate wAAy eAArly, with nothing to do but use Milepoint. Hi, everybody! :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's not fun when traveling with someone that doesn't have it. waited 20 minutes, as it took me about 1.5 at LAS about a week ago

USAF_Pride likes this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that would be a problem but frankly I'd rather wait 20 minutes for the other person twitting my thumbs rather than worry for the rest of the day whether I left something at the checkpoint when repacking and re-dressing.

I guess the alternatives are for your travel companion to hope for an invite, or pop for the money to join Global Entry ( the man in front of me today had done that, even though he doesn't travel abroad). Or have you wait 20 min. for them, I guess.

My other worries are twofold. One that somehow the TSA will shut the pilot program down for anything from its own volition to Congressional interference. Two that as more people qualify for Precheck, times will grow from my 45 and your 90 sec. Today sure nice, though.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

USAF_Pride likes this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    My same experience in LAS also. Unfortunately, I had to wait for the Mrs. to clear the regular line. 10-15 minutes later, she made it through. The only bad thing is DL does not have a club at LAS :( #deltafailLAS

5. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience with a companion, clearing security with me was rather pleasant. We both walked up to the checkpoint and when I was waved to the pre-check line, my companion was walked to the adjacent post-ID check line. She actually cleared her line the same time I cleared pre-check, on account of a delay caused by the excessive amount of electronics in my bag that the screener had to inspect (on screen).

6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't wait for this to be rolled out for UA at SFO and other points. Any idea when this may happen?

7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    What airport(s) did this happen at? It seems odd. You don't know if you'll clear until they scan you BP so unless your companion had no status I'd think you both be at the TSA agent at the same time. I guess there's one or more airports where they scan and sort you into lines farther out? Just curious.

This morning DFW C30 had a very long regular line but the priority/first line was just a few people. The TSA agent was great. She was proactively scanning BP's from the priority line (everything was at a stand still) and when I cleared she opened the ropes so I could actually get to the Pre lane. Saved me a bunch of waiting this morning, #priceless.

On a side note, she mentioned A35 @ DFW now has TSA-Pre! +1

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  8. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great news - thank you for posting it! I've actually been parking at C even when taking flights that depart from A or E just so that I could use the C30 pre-check checkpoint and avoid the pat-down.

9. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAS. you go towards the first class lane at D terminal. the first agent scans your BP to determine if you qualify for precheck or the FC lane. precheck goes to the right, and the agent sitting at the podium that scans the FC BPs (again?) then scans yours and you proceed in your lane. it's kinda like this:

-----------<======D======

one lane, then first agent, then two lanes, then second agent at podium, and then lanes are still separated. bottom lane is precheck. top lane is first.

they allowed him to proceed in the F lane (which was pretty much a joke in itself)

10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh. I use E. I use the E16? line (all the way left of DL counter) as it doesn't have a nude-o-scope. Then again, I don't think any screening in the DL area has them.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  11. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I used to use E16 when I used to fly UA.

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how much new is here, as the airports I frequent didn't change (still waiting for HNL, which we are told is in the cards). Anyway, just got this e-mail from AA, for what it is worth:

TSA Expedited Screening Coming Soon to More Airports

Dear {Kansaskeith},
    [​IMG]
    As a registered TSA PreCheckTM program participant, you may experience expedited screening by not having to remove shoes, belt, jacket, laptop or liquids in 3-1-1 compliant bags.*

The trial TSA screening program is currently offered throughout many major airports and is continually expanding to new locations:

Available Now
    Chicago O'Hare
    Terminal 3, checkpoint 8 Miami
    Checkpoint D2
    Los Angeles
    Terminal 4, checkpoints 11 & 12 Minneapolis-St. Paul
    Lindbergh Terminal, checkpoint 4
    Las Vegas
    Terminal D, First Class screening New York JFK
    Terminal 8, checkpoint 1
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Terminal C, checkpoint C30
    Terminal A, checkpoint A35 NEW!
    Terminal D, checkpoint D30 NEW!

Coming Soon
    Portland International
    Terminal C New York LaGuardia
    Terminal B, Concourse D

Show and Go
    When at one of the designated TSA expedited screening checkpoints, simply present your boarding pass and it will identify you as a program participant. It is that simple.

Get the latest program information, including a complete list of expedited screening locations, by visiting AA.com/tsascreening.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The above list seems to be out of date or inaccurate. AFAIK AA passengers can also use PreCheck at MSP, so it's not just one checkpoint. LAX T5 supposedly has PreCheck now for DL. There's PreCheck at DTW and ATL, at least for DL. Finally DCA either has it or will soon IIRC.

14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the email came from AA to one of their customers who had qualified via their website (as opposed to Global Entry code number, etc.), I think it is intended to be a list of which airports for which AA boarding passes would be scan-encoded with the proper code for pre-check.

Since it requires an AA boarding pass to be encoded if you qualify via the AA invitation, it wouldn't make much sense to get your AA pass at an AA terminal 4 kiosk in Los Angeles, then go over to DL terminal 5 (if it would even work) with your AA boarding pass just to then have to clear security and then trek back to AA through the field-side underground 1961-vintage tunnel.

As far as common-security checkpoints that AA doesn't list -- e.g., ATL, and if I remember correctly DTW is also common-checkpoint -- since this is a T.S.A. pilot program, AA would have to have received clearance to scan-encode their boarding passes at those airports even though their are common checkpoints with DL.

Since the AA e-mail doesn't list them, I wonder if they don't have that clearance. Does anyone know? Or, in more plain English, has anyone who joined via AA invitation (not Global Entry) been able to use Precheck successfully with an AA boarding pass at Atlanta or Detroit?

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the TSA line all the time at LAX and it is such a pleasure to leave my shoes on and my computer in my rolling luggage. I can 't wait till it is at all airports.

16. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never been able to use Precheck at any airport other than the airports AA list. Lately I have been flying out Seattle a lot and was never select.

17. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoping to get selected, hate lines!

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK PreCheck facilities are specific to the combination of airline AND airport, so that for instance,it can be available for DL passengers at DTW but not those traveling on AA.

However, the email that was quoted earlier in this thread does not clearly state that these are supposed to be the current list of PreCheck availability for AA passengers. It sounds like this is claimed to be the complete list for TSA PreCheck and, when understood this way, it is clearly incomplete/wrong.

19. dAAlasFF

dAAlasFF Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been using the PreCheck for about 5 months now and totally love it and glad to see that there are more lanes at DFW. Only hassle that I voiced to TSA was you still have to wait through the normal line. At LAX, they have a separate lane for the PreCheck fliers. Definitely shortens the line time.

20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have that at the city of 'Lost Wages' as well. Nice. Question about your talking to the T.S.A. about your DFW idea. Are they receptive, polite, arrogant, stonewalling, powerless, or some combination? Since we pay these people, I am curious. Thanks.

21. dAAlasFF

dAAlasFF Active Member

Status Points:
    They were actually very nice. It was one of the first times that I used it and they were asking flyers how they liked it. In general the DFW TSA folks are nice with a few exceptions. I was in Detroit in December and the TSA agent checking ID's was so slow that all 5 security lines had no one in them. And all the supervisors were standing around watching.......

22. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My son just called from JFK (Sunday night). He is AA Exec Plat with 110,000 miles already this year. With Global Entry he got into the USA in 3 minutes. Then, wich no checked bags, to TSA for his domestic flight, where he says 20/21 times he has been refused pre-check. It took over 1 hour to get through regular TSA line.

23. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:

image-4100508124.jpg

LAX AA Priority Terminal 4 7:40 am 5/29/12: It literally took longer for my scanner to call up the comment page from this sign than it had to clear all of security! No exaggeration.

No line. No shoes off, lap top out, no stripdownoscope, only question was where do you have your cell phone. The LAX experience perhaps as not as perfectly organized and kill-em-with-kindness as was LAS last month, but still easily a 10 on a 10-point-scale (unlike LAS you have to make an effort to select yourself out as a Precheck-qualified passenger).

Precheck is wonderful!

deltagoldLass likes this.
  24. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was selected for pre-check at SEA today, flying UA. It was a very pleasant experience: no AIT, shoes-on, laptop and 3-1-1 baggie left in luggage. It reminds me of security eleven years ago. I asked the agents how they liked working that lane, and they expressed delight -- something about how pleasant it was to work with less grumpy pax. Indeed, I was far less grumpy there than I might have been opting-out of AIT.

deltagoldLass likes this.
  25. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just had my first experience with Precheck at LGA Terminal D this morning. I was pointed to a semi hidden lane behind a metal gate after my ID check...when the lady said the three words we usually hate...."you've been selected...". Then before I could react she said, "for Precheck". Please follow this gentleman....

It was a really nice experience especially at 5 AM ....

deltagoldLass and kansaskeith like this.