My 1st Plat Stay...I'm Hooked :)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by mo26, Apr 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the Hilton devaluation, I decided to abandoned my Hilton Diamond status, and instead challenge and focus at SPG and Hyatt.

Hyatt has always been solid, but I was a little more skeptical about SPG. On my first stay as a Platinum, the upgrade (understandably not guaranteed) has been awfully nice!

I got a great rate on a "staycation" in MSP at the W. I was welcomed as a Platinum and automatically upgraded to a "Wow Suite"......Very nice indeed!

I'm even considering plowing towards 50 nights for the suite benefits.

Between the upgrade and ordering some nice cubs tickets on points, you've got me :)

- MO

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those nice upgrades can get ya! ;)

marcwint55, GoodBoy and mo26 like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, they can...until the honeymoon is over and one gets kicked out of the "Wow bridal Suite"...:D

On the serious side, I would like to urge everyone to check out this sober assessment of the wave of "devaluation" that has hit the frequent guest loyalty programs, except for Hyatt GP and Club Carlson. Happy with SPG? Think again!

marcwint55, slalom, GoodBoy and 3 others like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those numbers are way off for those of us here. I earn 6 points per dollar with platinum (100) status and spg Amex, plus 500 point plat amenity plus 500 points for MAGC on longer stays. Even without that a $150 stay nets me 1400 base point plus whatever promo is on, up to 3400 points in q2. That's 9 stays for one top tier night, and that even ignores 5th night free 20% discounts. Fewer at a higher rate...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

brucewil, pureGLAMtv, GoodBoy and 3 others like this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG was never strong in the free stays at their best hotels. The strength was always in the mid-tier hotels and benefits during your stay.

This isn't a devaluation change, but merely finding a program that matches what you value most.

GoodBoy, mo26, NYCUA1K and 1 other person like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Please see discussion beginning at about here for others who have pointed out the limitation of the chart, and chime in

brucewil, GoodBoy and mo26 like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more. Everyone keeps pointing to the fact that Hilton has jacked up the rates at Maldives or Seychelles but ignores the fact that very few could afford those ultra-luxurious resorts even before the "devaluation". There are lots and lots and lots of mid-tier properties that did not change and even went down, but is an inconvenient fact that should not be mentioned because it is not conducive to ranting...;)

GoodBoy, edekba and mo26 like this.
  8. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally,

I like the cash and points options at the SPG properties.

That was a big reason why I switched.

-MO

pureGLAMtv and GoodBoy like this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised by the upgrade in the USA. Elsewhere ... yeah PLT is great.

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you surprised at the suite upgrades in the US??:confused:

As a SPG Plat I have gotten great suite upgrades at the W Seattle (3 times), W San Francisco, the W Fort Lauderdale (2 times), the W Montreal, the W Atlanta- Buckhead , the Westin Bear Mountain, the Westin Collonade - Coral Gables, the Westin Diplomat (3 times) to name just a few NA properties which comes readily to mind.

pureGLAMtv and mo26 like this.
  11. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Park City (Canyons) for 45,000 Hilton Points per night. Also was checking resort options in Hawaii and they were about the same, so 95000 points for top tier Hilton night sounds high.

mo26 likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since becoming PLT
    3 Domestic Stays , 1 upgrade to suite, 2 no upgrades 1 of which i had to fight with to get internet & club lvl access even though I booked a Club Rom.
    3 Intl Stays, 1 upgrade to suite (after asking twice), 1 upgrade to premier room, 1 no upgrade (Place was sold out)

Later in April/May/June i have 6 more stays coming up domestically so we'll see

mo26 likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I suppose I must be lucky I have had some great International upgrades particularly in Europe...although I tend to stay more at HH properties.
    Great corner top floor suite running half the depth of the buildng at the Maria Cristina, suite at the Marquies de Riscal, junior suites at both the Palace and Alfonso XVIII (all in Spain), The Bristol, the Goldener Hirsch in Austria in fact I have had about 80% ugrades as a plat in Europe.
    In China got upgrades also at the Sheraton in Xian and the Westin Chaoyang, the Westin Guangzhou are a justa few I can remember.

mo26 and edekba like this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just turned PLT in November ... I should've mentioned that :)

mo26 likes this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well best of luck ...you have a bit of catching up to do:D

edekba and mo26 like this.
  16. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the OP, I might also mention that my ridiculously low rate made me pretty confident I was dealing with low occupancy, making an upgrade a better bet.

I don't expect it to be the norm. I also got a DL upgrade to F on my first flight as an AS MVP, so I know good luck when I see it ;)

-MO

17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that perhaps is one of the factors that might help my upgrade percentage.. well to certain extent.
    The majority of my stays which are 90% vacation tend to be no longer than 3-4 days, usually in the late Spring and early Fall (avoiding the busy Summer period ) or on weekends when all the other Plats are at home.:)

mo26 and edekba like this.
  18. pureGLAMtv

pureGLAMtv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree with you - also calculating the stays in that way and prefer to redeem with C/P on SPG hotels (still after the change on the C/P calculation in March13) ... but over all the years and travelling around the world - for my personal travel needs SPG is the best program and also the chance of upgrades is still high.

For me - it was not the calculation of money I have to spent for a free night - it was the calculation where do I have to go and where do I find hotels of this brand... and with 1100 SPG hotels - especially in the US, Asia and Europe - it was the best solution -> for my personal travel needs.

But it always depends when you arrive on your hotel. E.g. I needed a room during Superbowl 2010 on a SPG hotel in Miami where all hotels are nearly blocked. - Still got a nice room - but no suite upgrade (which is totally o.k. - as all hotels are blocked, and they still try to find a solution for you). I am always very polite with the staff - thank them for a great stay and they will remember you when you come back (and that increases your chances of nice upgrades)

mo26 likes this.