My 1st Ambassador Experience!

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by mo26, Dec 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I mentioned in another thread, my status addiction tricked my brain into burning some PC points to try Ambassador status....To be honest, I didn't know when (or if) I would ever stay at an IC, but I figured "why not?"

Well as luck would have it, I'm stuck in ORD (how sick am I to consider this lucky), and the IC had a deluxe room available for an early check-in.

I'll save you a hotel review, because I know it has been written up before, however I did want to share the benefits I received from my Ambassador status.

I was upgraded from a Deluxe Room to a jr. suite with no prompting (upgrade would have cost an extra $80, according to the website)

I received free internet, which really made me smile since I know this is usually an RA benefit ($13)

I'll pick from their large selection to end my night with a movie ($13)

I called down shortly after getting to my room and requested my water and fruit....A member of the staff showed up with 4 bottles of water, and two bags of Garrett's gourmet popcorn (based on what their charging for the bottles in the room, this is worth at least $25).

Looks like my benefit from this short stay is around $130, which is a pretty darn good return on $200, but even better on 32k points! Especially when I was stacking promos over the summer and making 10k points each weekend :)

The hotel is very clean, and the staff are incredibly friendly....This will certainly be my new hotel in ORD!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to pass this experience along to anyone who might be considering the Ambassador status.

- MO

uggboy, DJP_707 and sobore like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to hear. Ambassador is a very decent program and worth the money in most cases.

uggboy and mo26 like this.
  3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing that surprised me the most was that Ambassador status wouldn't get you complementary internet!!!! I would have expected a choice between the movie and internet....But if I can get both, even better :)

uggboy and sobore like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sore subject for me, everyone should get complementary internet in 2012. It's become the same as electricity and running water IMO.

uggboy, viguera and mo26 like this.
  5. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess their playing to the expense accounts, but I've always gotten a kick out of a hilton charging $250 a night with internet available for another $15.......Across the street a Hilton Garden Inn for $150 and free internet!!!!

-MO

daninstl, uggboy and sobore like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL :D Too true.

uggboy and mo26 like this.
  7. sobore, I couldn't agree more. I'm in China right now and just about everywhere I go one can get free internet. Hotel lobbies, restaurants, office buildings, etc. all have free wi fi. I've been in 6 hotels since my arrival and all have had free internet.
    I'm currently at the the IC Pudong and of course as a RA it is free but the lobby was also free before I even checked in.

uggboy, sobore and mo26 like this.
  8. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    When one signs up for Ambassador (@ either $200 or 32K points), is the membership valid only for one calendar year or for 365 calendar days? IOW, if I sign up on 12/16/12, will my Ambassador status expire on 12/31/12 or on 12/15/13?

Also, if I have an existing IC reservation made prior to my becoming an Ambassador member, will the benefits be applied or do they apply only to bookings made after Ambassador status is obtained?

Finally,. one important benefit for me would be to pay single occupancy rates and yet enjoy double occupancy with no extra charge. Is this benefit restricted only to IC hotels or across the board at all IHG properties?

uggboy likes this.
  9. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amb status runs for one full year from the date you sign up, it is not on a calender year.

uggboy likes this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never understood why any hotel would have free WiFi in the lobby but if your paying for a room they would charge you extra for it?

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  11. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting your experience. Glad to here you enjoyed you amb status.

uggboy likes this.

12. make sure you refreshen your reservation so your Amb. status shows up.
    From my personal experience you get that benefit throughout the chain. I have been RA for some time now but I think it applies to Amb status also.