My 11 yr old may have outsmarted me

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by dmc730, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am using points to go to NYC this summer and stay in Times Square. My duaghter asked since this is a "free" vacation, can we stay for a weekend at a ski resort near home. I explained that it wasn't a free vacation, only a free hotel and that after theater tix, harbor cruise, Empire State Bldg, other touristy things, food and parking we were probably looking at $2k of cost for the 4 of us.

So she says, lets stay home and you buy me an Ipad. That way you'll save over $1,000.

2. aaucello

aaucello Silver Member

Status Points:
    hilarious! Love the story

djfuentes, KathInJax, rwoman and 5 others like this.
  3. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think she did...

Now, can you teach her how to follow fare calculations and generate CPM? if so, you can hire her as your own research assistant for miles&points. This way, she can justify the Ipad as a data collection tool... ;-)

djfuentes, OY-JFS, mailbroad and 14 others like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why hire when she can be free labor till she gets older :p

OY-JFS, KathInJax, rwoman and 6 others like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 11 year old actually would refuse an offer to get an Ipad in return to go to London again (preferably in C, but Y would also do)

kaka, KathInJax, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad she's got your best interests in mind.

She will go far.

KathInJax, nime01, DLroads and 6 others like this.
  7. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    She is extremely intelligent, I must say

KathInJax, nime01, DLroads and 2 others like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ask her if she ever watched "Home Alone"? :D

YULtide, KathInJax, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ask her how much you would save if you bought yourself an Ipad, and used it to sell the girl on Ebay. :D
    After all, don't kids get even more expensive when they become teenagers?;)

KathInJax and nime01 like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting or should I say sad? ... so most here think the experience/history/culture/arts and general exposure of a visit to NYC is infinitely less valuable to an adolescent (in the long run) than owning an i-pad which is nothing more than just a flashy cell phone or a pared down computer speaks volumes as to the sort of values our current society seems to currently hold dear.:rolleyes:

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my nieces is the same. :)

KathInJax and TAHKUCT like this.
  12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    My sister gives her kids a choice - Christmas presents or a trip? They always chose the trip.

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think for a lot of kids a nice trip is always better. Their thinking is that they always can get that gift later. :)

kaka and autolycus like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For some kids, the trip means lots more time with their parents.

15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely!

16. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... does that mean the kids would rather have a lump of coal than the trip? :p

javacodeguy likes this.
  17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So are you saying that's a good or a bad thing??? ;)

I don't think people HERE are saying that, just that it's a clever thing for an 11-year old to say. I'm sure the OP is not actually going to cancel the trip to NY because of his daughter's comment. [​IMG]

dmc730, JLSocks and autolycus like this.
  18. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clever, or just the way it is these days? Ask an 8 YO to probably 18YO, gender doesn't much matter, what they want for Christmas, and I would bet that they will say 'Money'. Reason, since the folks won't buy them the latest greatest I thingy, they'll get enough '$$ gifts' and go buy that thing themselves. A trip, with the parents, in place of a gadget? Not in this day and age. But then, YMMV

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's bad or sad if the kid is starved fro attention from mom and dad but good if the kid merely likes family time.

20. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    (too much here to let it go)
    Yes, it is interesting and yes, I would say it is sad.
    I grew up in a classic American nuclear dysfunctional family. Family vacations just came with fights. But for me vacation meant a chance to escape the tickytacky everyday existence of our lives and see something DIFFERENT. But for my kid sister, vacation was just something to be endured.
    At Xmas time 1962, Dad took the family to Miami Beach in his new 1962 Chevy Impala convertible. To say the very least, Miami was an "interesting" place to be at that particular moment in history. One morning Dad decided we should drive down to Key West to view the American Military protecting us from Russian/Cuban aggression. Mom was delighted, as she had a new straw hat that was perfect for open air motoring! My sister, who sunburned easily, started whining immediately. But, I was absolutely thrilled out of my mind. I was going to get to see a place that had been a focal point in the American news for months. I was just coming out of childhood; and this was a real ADVENTURE for me.
    Of course, what actually happened was the Florida sun got the better of us, and dad turned around at Key Largo.
    48 years later, I finally drove the Overseas Highway. It was still worth the drive, as it still felt like an adventure.
    Do you remember the first time? Would you go back? In 1960, Dad piled the family into the 1958 Chevy stationwagon and headed off for a summer vacation at Myrtle Beach. One day we drove down to Brookgreen Gardens. Looking at the sculpture, was the first time for me ... the very first time that my young mind was able to grasp the concept of art. From that point forward more beauty blossomed into my life from the universe than I could have ever imagined(and probably more than I ever deserved from the universe;)). Sis didn't get it. Would I go back? Yes, I think maybe I will. Some Milepoint folks are talking about getting together in Charleston this year. And it occurred to me that this might be my opportunity to go back to the place where BEAUTY was born into my existence.
    From my childhood, I remember my slinky, my shootin-shell revolver, and my slot cars.
    But all together they never meant to me what just those two vacations with my dysfunctional parents did.
    My kid sister; not so much. That's life. You put your money down, spin the wheel, take your chances, and may God always bless you and yours.:)

miles and smiles and TAHKUCT like this.
  21. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's try a calculation.
    Vacation for 4 people = $2000
    Vacation Cost per Person = $500
    Price of iPad = $499.
    I see a solution here.:)

22. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can assure you my eleven yr old doesn't make these decisions for us. I just thought it was a clever attempt on her part to put the Ipad idea into my head.

23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its very clever, especially as she has calculated the points into the equation! I predict she will be like my niece and recalculating the flights to see how many more 'free' points it will take to fly first/business over economy when you tell opt-out of the trip is not possible (unlike the TSA screening). :D

24. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    some times the trip means a lot more to the parents, we took our 4 y.o. to sacramento last weekend and went to the train museum, at the end of the day my son told me "I had a great day with my parents" kinda made me forget all about the $18 it cost to get into the museum and the $75 it cost me to get out of the gift shop

25. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    True that. My 6 yo daughter has been to Hawaii (x2), San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Atlanta, Denver, and Columbus OH. She's eager to visit Alaska (wildlife), Yellowstone (the wildlife), DC (white house), Virginia (to see Mt Vernon), NYC, Hawaii (again), Korea (our ethnic homeland), Australia (to see kangaroos in the wild), Alabama (to see Helen Keller's home), Atlanta (again, to see MLKJs home and the GA Aquarium), and many more places. She doesn't like travel necessarily, but wants to just see everything. Plus, she's at an age where she still loves us and thinks we can do anything ;)