MXP-MUC-OSL: Air Dolomiti & SAS

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Qualityflyer, Jul 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Qualityflyer

Qualityflyer Member

Status Points:
    Hi all!
    This is my first post here at MilePoint.
    Enjoy!
    Airline(s): Air Dolomiti, SAS - Scandiavian Airlines
    Aircraft(s): Embraer E195,Boeing 737-700W
    Departed: Milan (MXP)
    Arrived: Oslo (OSL)
    Via: Munich (MUC)
    Class: Economy
    Pictures can be found on here.
    Introduction:
    This trip was taken as a vacation and because I wanted to try Air Dolomiti and it's Embraer E195.
    We had flown with Lufthansa from Oslo to Milan via Hamburg a week before on 2 CRJ-900's.
    That TR can be found on my blog, Qualityflyer.com
    Departure day:
    Now it was time for us to go home, we had packed our bags the night before so we could get as much sleep as possible. We woke up at around 05:15, and by 06:00 we were standing outside the hotel waiting for our taxi that would drive us to the airport. We had considered taking the taxi to the Grand Centrale and take the train from there to the airport but that would be a lot of walking with bags etc. so taxi was fine. We arrived at the airport 40 mins later and went to the check-in area.
    Check-in at MXP:
    The check-in area was operated by Lufthansa. I used the OLCI the day before and picked the seats we wanted, 8 A & C on the first leg with Air Dolomiti and 6 A & B on SAS. But since we had bags to check-in we went to the self -check-in kiosk and printed our boarding passes and baggage tags. We then delivered our bags at the desk where the staff was more eager to talk with each other than with helping us but with a little “Hello?” she got to work . We then headed to the security area and was through in 2 mins, no queue.

Lounge:
    Since we were travelling in economy and had no lounge access through our tickets I used my Priority Pass card and found Club S.E.A – Sala Monteverdi Lounge. The lounge is located close to the A gates.
    The lounge is offering a good selection of different drinks, snacks and small sandwiches. The lounge was in good condition and the restrooms was clean and nicely decorated.
    Boarding at MXP:
    We sat in the lounge until 10:15 and went to our bus gate. The waiting area had 3 bus gates, but only our flight was on the screens. It was 1 gate agent since we were only 20-30 passengers on this flight. Boarding went smooth.
    Aircraft | I-ADJO
    Our aircraft were on the remote stand, an Embraer E195 operated by Air Dolomiti on behalf of Lufthansa. It was my first time on the type, and one of the highlights of the trip. This aircraft has been in service with Air Dolomiti for 3 years.
    On-board | LH 1855 | MXP-MUC
    Finally, my first time in one of the finest looking aircraft, in my opinion. When entering the plane we got greeted by 2 young female flight attendants (FA’s) at the door. The cabin looked fresh with its green seats and bulkheads. First impression was good.
    It didn’t take long before we were all on board so we could get ready to start the engines. But before they started up I overheard a passenger ask one of the FA’s if she could sit somewhere else, the FA said ok and guided her to her new seat. Everything looked ok, so I tought that now we would go but then another FA came by the same passenger that had moved and said she had to move to another seat, weird I tought since she didn’t sit in the business class section and no other passengers were seated at that seat she got, but she complied and moved again to another seat that the FA said was Ok. …yes…you guessed it, she got moved a third time but this time the passenger said NO, to sit were the FA wanted to move her, instead she walked back to her “own” seat where she had been seated before all this mess. A very weird situation, I would later find out that the same FA’s was rather new and not so well experienced. But we started up and taxied to the runway were we took off, a normal takeoff and climb.
    The seatbelt sign got turned off after a few minutes after takeoff and service could commence, the FA’s announced in Italian, German and English, very nice. A little fast but I got the info i needed/wanted.
    They served a ciabatta with turkey, very good…when I finally got it. My friend got served one, and he was seated next to me, at the window seat but not me… The FA’s that served us in the economy class section were the not so experienced ones, they forgot to give some of us the ciabatta. I had to ask for it when the FA from the business section came by, but no hard feelings, i got it eventually and that’s what matters.
    In transit at MUC:
    We landed on time at MUC and taxied to a normal gate, first time on this trip that we didn’t get a remote stand. We had 45 mins to our next flight, and at MUC that’s not a problem if you got an intra european connection.
    I haven’t experienced a longhaul flight or non-schengen flight from MUC…yet. But will certainly try to transit via MUC again.
    We went down towards our gate, while looking at the shops and we even saw a barbershop. That’s something I’ve never seen in an airport before. But if you got a couple of hours to spend, why not visit the barber?
    Boarding:
    We reached our gate 30 mins before departure time, the gate area was crowded. Boarding had not started so we sat down and waited. We were seated near the front of the plane so no need to hurry amd we went in almost last.
    Aircraft | LN-RNW:
    The aircraft operating todays flight to OSL were LN-RNW, a Boeing 737-700W. Delivered new to SAS in March, 2010. So quite new, and a new reg for me. Exterior was flawless, paint was clean. Interior was in nice condition but the seats were the not so comfortable Recaro seats that SAS also have installed in their narrow body airbuses. They will get replaced by the new Recaro BL3250 seats (the same that Lufthansa have installed in their fleet) during 2012/2013.
    On board | SK 4760 | MUC-OSL
    This flight is a codeshare flight between Lufthansa and SAS.
    When we entered the plane we got greeted by no more than 1 pilot and 2 smiling FA’s. We got seated at 6A and B. I was seated next to the window so I could take some pictures. Flight left on time, it’s after all SAS. During the flight we got served either water, tea or coffee, but I opted for the roast beef with potato salad and a coke from the CloudShop menu. Very tasty.
    The remainder of the flight was uneventful and went fairly quick and we were soon on the approach to OSL.

Arrival at OSL:
    We landed 20 mins before scheduled arrival at 15:00 and taxied straight to our gate. We went down to the arrivals hall were my friend and I went into the tax-free shop before we picked up our bags and went home.
    Conclusion:
    MXP - A rather old-looking airport but easy to get through. The lounge was good, quiet and got some nice snacks and drinks. Just like my friend and I prefer.
    Air Dolomiti – Got a nice looking aircraft and crew, great offerings with refreshing towel, tasty snack and free drinks. But they need to get better attention to details, but have to fly them more to see if it’s more than a one time thing. But overall a good flight.
    MUC – Great place to transit, easy to navigate and nice shops. Will try to transit through there more often.
    Scandinavian Airlines – Great looking aircraft, friendly crew and good that they serve free water, coffee and tea but a snack would also be more appreciated than to by it for 7 – 12 EUR. But they are headed the right way.
    Overall a good experience and will fly both airlines again.
    Thanks for reading and comments are appreciated.

desamo, violist, Firefly and 3 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice.

Qualityflyer likes this.
  3. Qualityflyer

Qualityflyer Member

Status Points:
    Thanks ;) I'll try to add more photos next time.

4. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice trip report - the first ever Air Dolomiti one I've come across. Thanks!

Qualityflyer likes this.
  5. Qualityflyer

Qualityflyer Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Yeah, not many TR's on them :)

6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing! I love Air Dolomiti. Prosecco even in coach.

Qualityflyer likes this.