MVPG or 75K?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Mike Reed, Sep 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering whether to pursue 75K this year. I'll be at 48 segments credited to AS by the end of the first week of October (and I've essentially already made EXP on AA), so I know I'll hit MVPG again at 60 segments. I'm not sure at ALL that I'll get 30 more segments (that's at least 8 round trips with 4 segments each) this year, but it's always possible.

I'll probably credit those to AS anyway just to build mileage in that program vs. AA because I need them in my AS account more for future use... and I'll never hit the EQP requirements on AA to get anything more than EXP.

I rarely fly AS (if I do, it's short segments in CA or it's an off-trip AUS-SEA), but I fly a LOT of AA (100+ segments) and DL (50+ segments). I mainly use my AS status for benefits on DL. The only reason I'd go for 75K would be the 50,000 extra RDM.

Thoughts?

marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you rarely fly AS, the 75K level won't do much for you at all. The 50K miles is a big plus, but at this point in the year, becomes a time and expense calc, plain and simple. If you flew AS, especially on transcon and SEA/HI routes and want any chance of an upgrade, 75K is very important these days.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, the Delta piece is bigger - along with the extra 50K RDM. The caveat is that when I get upgraded on DL, I'm rarely competing with 75K's.

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't 75Ks still behind the entire DL upgrade totem pole?

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, but day of flight all of them have already been upgraded, except for any SDC's or last-minute purchases.