MVP vs MVPG - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by dotgirl, Apr 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dotgirl

dotgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on the trips I have planned for this year, I'll easily qualify for MVP. But looking at the perks, it seems like it might be worth it to push and try for MVP Gold. I'll be about 10k miles short, but with a couple well-placed DEQM promos, I might be able to make it.

Can anyone who has been both give me your feedback?

2. IceTrojan

IceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Others may be better qualified, but it's definitely worth it to push for MVPG. While MVP gets you some of the perks (e.g., cutting in line), MVPG will give you an actually realistic shot at getting upgrades. If you're flying a decent amount next year and afterward, then I would totally do the extra 10K.

eponymous_coward and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that AS is going to shut down their DEQM promos during the second half of the year, and historically they are more conservative than other airlines, I wouldn't count on a DEQM promo to save your bacon.

As for whether or not it's worth it, I tend to make these decisions dollar and cent based ones. The biggest benefit of MVPG IMO is being exempt from the $25 SDC fee or other change fees. I regularly take myself OUT of F on short flights for better times. I simply don't find the big seat/free drinks/small amount of food worth a lot on a 1000 mile or less route compared to being where I want at a better time.

I also find that I got a decent amount of upgrades as an MVP. Your mileage may vary.

If you're looking at $500-1000 or more of additional MR travel to make MVPG, what the worth of it is is going to be up to you. I am not sure I would make that decision. (I'm MVPG this year because of DEQM, on pace for MVP in 2015.)

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The refund policy for MVPG and 75K is good too.

5. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the ability to fully refund any ticket is HUGE to me. Find a good fare? Book it and feel free to change your mind at any time to get full credit into your Wallet. Try finding that on any other airline at any status level.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    WN. For ALL tickets. ;)

timfrost likes this.
  7. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough, but try sitting in First Class...I get upgrade as an MVP Gold over half the time.

8. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SEA-DTW has DEQMs in the fall --- that's about it (so far).