MVC Presentation a Grand Chateau Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Timeshares' started by Zomby Woof, Dec 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at the Grand Chateau Las Vegas over Thanksgiving in a one bedroom. I was on an Encore package for $795 which included 2 show tix, $100 Visa gift card and 10K Marriott Rewards points for attending a 90 min presentation. For reference a one bedroom could be booked at $180 + taxes/night w/AAA rate.

The room was very nice with a full kitchen, dining table, living area separate from the bedroom. Nice big bathroom with large shower and a separate tub with water jets. 40_in flat screens in living area and bedroom. Direct TV and wireless internet also.

Presentation was low pressure. I didn't see the value is joining the MVC points program. Points cost about $10 each and annual dues/maint is about $0.42/point. So for 3500 points that's $1500/annual dues. You can use points for more than just stays at MVC properties. You can use for cruises, tours, and interval properties.

Example:
    7 day Carribean cruise ocean view (Celebrity, Holland America, etc) for 3450 points. Since dues are $1500 and I can typically get a 7 day cruise like that for $100/person/day or less. No price advantage.

20 nights at Grand Chateau on M-Th for 3500 points in a studio room. I can book a studiothere for about $145/night (e.g. Thanksgiving w/AAA rate). With the $1500 dues, I save $70/night. So the $35K is allowing me about a 50% discount on the room.

Advantages I see:
    Points for MVC properties never rise.
    Access to popular MVC locations (e.g. Hawaii) where it might be difficult to book on your own at the dates you want.
    No extra costs for using points outside of MVC properties.

Disadvantages:
    Points for Cruises, tours, interval could rise.
    Annual dues can rise
    Buying additional points later can be more expensive (e.g. $11/point).
    Additional fee for room cleaning when using MVC points vice booking on your own. For example, if you stayed at the Grand Chateau on MVC points they wanted $79 for a "tidy up" of the room each time you wanted it.

There are more details to explore but my initial impression it is not a good value and it would take a long time to breakeven from the initial point purchase for stays at MVC properties considering the high annual dues.

2. nickfromct

nickfromct Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are interested in getting into timesharing, the best way to get in would be to buy a week(s) on ebay.