"Must See" List for Shanghai (in about 2 days)?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by SuperW2, Oct 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm Going to China for Business (leave Tomorrow Morning, SFO -> YVR -> PVG). Will be in some meetings and things a couple hours away most of the week, but going back to Shanghai the following Friday, have all day Saturday and then head home Sunday Afternoon.

This is my first trip to Asia, and am looking for some "Can't Miss, Must See, Maybe never going to have another chance to goto China" type places to visit, or activities to make sure I do in the couple days I have in Shanghai.

Thanks in Advance
    SW2

Kalboz likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest that you go to the "Bund" for a walk along the river and to the Old Town. Shanghai has a very vibrant night life so just let your concierge know what you are in the mood for and they might suggest a cool place. Do you know in which area you will be staying? Pudong? Puxi (jokingly pronounced as 'pu**y')? Oh, and I would definitely recommend that you take the high-speed train, the MagLev, from the airport to the city, which it does in just 8 min going up to 400km/hr (a taxi might take 45-60 min or even longer, depending on traffic, which can be horrendous at times.)

OceanBreezes, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yu Garden, Nanjing Road, and if you have time, Shanghai Art Museum in People's Square

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Xiantindi is always a nice area for a quick walk around as well.

I would also grab a drink at Bar Rouge pre-dinner with the great view of Pudong and the Bund from the deck (although it is cold it is worth a quick pop out for a snapshot). Alternatively- Vue at the Hyatt on the Bund is a nice place for an after dinner drink and a great View.

NYCUA1K and Kalboz like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Street Smart Traveler

Street Smart Traveler Member

Status Points:
    Xintiandi is a fun area to walk around in at night. Old-stye "shikumen" architecture and trendy hangouts.

7. ExPanAmer

ExPanAmer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tianzifang

8. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are reservations needed? Is it easy for an English only speaker to find their way to the train and the Grand Hyatt?

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    No there are no reservations required.
    English only speaker it is not that easy to find the way from the train station at termination to the Grand Hyatt.

I suggest instead- take a taxi or hotel car to the hotel- and on the way back to the airport have the taxi/car drop you off at the Maglev station from which you can take the train to the hotel. It typically takes longer by the way for the train/taxi combination vs. just a car/taxi from the airport- really depends what you feel like I guess and how rushed your time is.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alternatively, one can carry a printout with the hotel name and address to show to the cab driver (one may still need to do this even if one takes a cab straight from the airport rather than MagLev).

上海金茂君悦大酒店 (Grand Hyatt Shangai)

浦东新区世纪大道 88 号金茂大厦 (address: Pudong Jin Mao Tower, 88 Century Avenue)

上海, 中国, 200121 (Shanghai, China, zip code)

I do the hotel-name/address-in-local-idiom printout thing religiously whenever traveling to a country with non-standard characters/alphabet...;)

OceanBreezes likes this.
  11. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Visa question
    I understand that it has become possible to travel to Shanghai for 72 hours without a Visa, so long as you have an onward flight.

My question is about the definition of 72 hours. How is this measured - for instance is it from wheels down to wheels off? or passage through the immigration stations at the airport?

The question may seem pedantic but so can be the attitude of foreign immigration officers.
    I would not want to get the rules wrong. I have an itinerary which would set me down on Chinese soil and depart again with a gap of some 74 hours. I could curtail the itinerary by one day just in order to stay on the right side of this rule.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    72 hours from arrival time (scheduled) until departure time (scheduled). 74 hours will not work.

13. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I was afraid of that, if measured from wheels down to wheels off

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think even more than wheels down wheels up it is what is written on your itinerary. If your itinerary is not within 72 hours you are probably going to have problems.

Flying Bat likes this.
  15. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    "it is what is written on your itinerary" - this actually gives me more hope. an itinerary can be constructed as moreorless anything, and it could incorporate a return 'refundable' ticket, where the date/time fell on the right side of the time line.

So I suppose what i want to know is what actual document(s) will be checked by immigration. And will it be checked going in and coming out.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your itinerary. It must have an eticket number or a paper ticket- no ticket= not acceptable.

I really wouldn't mess with it- they do check from time to time (phone the airline)- also you risk to be denied boarding.

Once again- and I stress- it is not worth the risk to get on the wrong side of the China Immigration Authorities- and they are very thorough.

Flying Bat likes this.
  17. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just get a visa. Then you do not have to worry about the 72 hour limit. Do not push the envelop of their generosity of giving 72 hour visa-free-entry !

18. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realise this message is too late and firstly i wanted to know how your trip was SuperW2?

I've been to Shanghai and the top must-see things i'd recommend are

YuYuan Gardens (at night.. amazing)
    Nanjing Road.. it's so long but if you haven't got time I think we spent more time on East Nanjing.. not sure. The markets there are amazing though you could spend all day lost in one of them.

There were some really nice bars along the Bund aswell if you fancy that, full of expats. Definitely experience their underground/metro system, it's fantastic!

I would avoid the zoo, not worth seeing to be honest. There were also a couple of temples that i heard great things about but unfortunately missed out on them due to illness whilst there.

19. jgreen

jgreen New Member

Status Points:
    The shopping in Shanghai is fantastic (so many bargains!)
    All of the different markets on Nanjing road are brilliant as colt245 said, i think i spent 2 days in total lost in these markets, and i still wanted to go back and shop more! The Bund is nice to wander around and see the skyline, however it was miserable weather when i visited last year (November) so would like to return without the rain.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiosity what did you find that was a bargain? I have typically found Nanjing road to be very expensive.