Must Read and See: The Toxic Smog Cloud Hanging Over Shanghai

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYCUA1K, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shanghai is notorious for its terrible air quality, but the smog in this Chinese metropolis just hit absurd levels. The government's air pollution monitoring site records the level of PM2.5, particulate matter hazardous to health, at 477 as of this writing, one of the highest pollution levels ever recorded. The World Health Organization recommends an average PM2.5 level of 20 or below.

A fetid product of industrial pollution, car exhaust and particulate matter from coal burning, this blanket has been left to fester in the city's streets due to a bout of cold and still weather. It makes the city a dangerous place to be a living, breathing human right now. "Severely polluted" air, the government site states, puts residents at increased risk of cardiopulmonary diseases, and it's suggested that everyone in the city avoid outdoor activity.

AP reports:

Shanghai authorities ordered schoolchildren indoors and halted all construction Friday as China's financial hub suffered one of its worst bouts of air pollution, bringing visibility down to a few dozen meters, delaying flights and obscuring the city's spectacular skyline.
    The financial district was shrouded in a yellow haze, and noticeably fewer people walked the city's streets. Vehicle traffic also was thinner, as authorities pulled 30 percent of government vehicles from the roads. They also banned fireworks and public sporting events.

See incredible photos...

Newscience and gaijin62 like this.
  2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unbelievable. I can't understand how people can live in such pollution.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am going there for a 5-day stay in two weeks and below is how the city looked a couple of years ago. Now the Oriental Pearl Tower (just center left) is almost invisible!

[​IMG]

The government was able to clean up Beijing just ahead of the Olympics. I hope they will be able to repeat that miracle here in 2 weeks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope so, for your trip and everyone else's health.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not only affecting China. Their pollution is carried away to neighboring countries by the wind. I think it was last week or two weeks ago that there was some kind of warning in Korea not to let children spend too much time outside because of the pollution cloud coming from China.

Flyer1976 and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I left Monday. It was pretty "impressive".

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    They don't live in it; they die in it. Smogs like this one are literal killers (there was a famous one in London in the 1950s which killed several thousand people), and China has the dubious honor of being the home of the youngest lung cancer patient ever diagnosed: an eight year old girl (who's believed to have contracted the disease due to her heavy exposure to air pollution).

Flyer1976 and gaijin62 like this.
  8. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...with just a small ray of hope:
    ;)

10. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    American political commentators "The Young Turks" covered a Chinese broadcast about the positive affects of all the pollution.

NYCUA1K and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, very interesting! FWIW, I just looked up "The Young Turks" and found this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Turks

Thanks for posting this!

gaijin62 likes this.
  12. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have watched their videos and MSNBC show for a few years. I don't always agree with Cenk's view point, but makes me think about the things I believe.

Newscience likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps "Provides gas mask at checkin" needs to be a new qualifier for 5-star hotel status in southeast Asia?

viguera likes this.