Muslim chaplain claims discrimination on United flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sammich, May 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/united-flight-muslim-chaplain/

uggboy likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets not "rush to judgement." What I read was a typical cnn story, a couple of facts and a few unrelated facts to add to the word count. Does she have a complaint about not getting an unopened can? It's a RJ. Did another passenger make loud and abusive remarks? Could have? Did the FA over react / react inappropriately? Who knows? Did did the FA AND the Pilot both apologize? I fly a bit and RJ's are frequently endured and personally FA apologies a few and far between and having the pilot get involved never. From how cnn covers this we will never know. Let's just take the injured parties word and slam the FA and the airline.

MX, uggboy, Newscience and 1 other person like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it your assertion that the person in question is making up the story out of whole cloth?

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/11/18/nine-muslims-file-discrimination-suit-against-airtran/
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/02/04/delta-airline-mistreated-muslim-family/22847965/
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/07/muslims.kicked.off.plane/index.html?hpt=T2

Funny how these made up stories keep happening...

guberif and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I believe she was handed an open can. I also believe that there was more to the interaction between the person in question and the FA. I find the rest of the story a little difficult to take at face value. I expect the story line of this "news" item change several times as witnesses start to come forward.
    PS: My personal option is that public bigotry reports with from single source are difficult to believe.

Newscience likes this.
  5. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a privilege point of view to comment on the validity of any discrimination when you are on the other side.

Even if the quote is not verbatim, but in a similar tone, there is a sense of injustice and helplessness that only the discriminated can comprehend. Some remark/actions, when received, may seem insignificant to others, but is scarring to the recipient. It's a generalization that they have not asked for, but will constantly receive regardless.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  6. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often wonder why people contact the media when they have issues with airlines. Is it the need for, or hoping for, an immediate response/attention?

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rather dislike having my eating surfaces touched by strangers too. But if someone explicitly told me not to touch something because I'm unclean (even not in so many words), I'd definitely be offended, and might blurt out something inappropriate. There's usually no graceful way to get all your preferences in a crowded social situation. If the story ended with this initial encounter, I'd say it was the exact opposite of discrimination -- it's how people always react.

I believe there was some truth that the situation turned ugly afterwards. Still all sides in a conflict could take steps to diffuse it, even if one of them is an oppressed minority.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  8. :( Well there goes my united flights

9. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, because the role of the media today is to hype, inflame, and interfere. When something happens to anyone now, they 1) wish they had it on film to sell to the news and 2) they get the media involved to get whatever their cause seeks.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever sent a complaint or question to a company and either received no reply or a response that clearly was from someone who couldn't even be bothered to read the message they were responding to? I have. United was one of those companies. 1KVoice, specifically, who supposedly is for its most valuable customers.

If the story happened as reported, it may very well have been just one of several similar incidents (not necessarily in an airline situation) for her, and the person may simply have learned that nothing changes unless you take this public. She was, after all, not complaining about a broken IFE. If you are the victim of discrimination and want to do something about it, what would you do? Heck, many of our favorite bloggers, when they aren't busy selling credit cards, spend their time documenting publicly their experiences with various airlines or hotels, good or bad. Remember the guy who was kicked off the UA plane for allegedly taking pictures of a seat?

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Sammich and eponymous_coward like this.