Music MP3 donloading site - help an ageing dinosaur

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... so Im looking for advice on good sites to download music in MP3 format. No, Im not looking for free music, I want good quality downloads that I can then burn into CD's and perhaps have some songs on my iPhone, and Im looking for 100% legal sites where I will of course pay for the songs I select.

Aside from good sites that folks may use here, is there anywhere I can go to read up on how DRM's work and what the different kinds of rights managements exist when you purchase a song...? I guess my point is that I want to know if I purchase a song, will I be able to burn it into a CD to play in my vintage Golf that has a CD system that will read MP3 format but has no USB port... and at the same time will I be able to have another copy of the same song for a portable MP3 player or do I need to purchase a different "licence" to do this....?

BTW, I guess its pertinent for me to tell you what sort of music Im looking for online.... Im a fan of some of the obscure & hard to get remixes of good dance music tracks... one example of a current favorite would be the Plastic Plates Remix of Adele's Set Fire to the Rain... :) :cool:

SC Flier, flyingdawg and Espan like this.
  2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd start w/ Amazon.

I hear exactly what yr saying above, which is what so pisses me off about Apple. I have no problem paying for and buying the product. I'd just like to be able to do w/ it as I please/need after I've bought it, i.e. put it on various devices I may own...

Gaucho likes this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to help answer your questions about your rights, you could start with Amazon's Terms of Use for MP3s. Note that these are Amazon's terms and do not necessarily represent the rights that you might have for purchases from other retailers.

You don't need a separate license for the copy on your MP3 player and the copy in your car, assuming that they are both for your own personal use. (Just don't let anyone else listen to the music in the car along with you, because then you'd be sharing the digital content -- clearly a restriction in section 2.2. :rolleyes:)

Gaucho, Espan and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know... and finally a use case for the ear plugs from the dozens of UA business class amenity kits in my garage ;)

The few songs I have bought were all from Amazon. 99% of my MP3s are ripped from my own CDs. I have never bought a song on iTunes (even though my current media player devices are mostly Apple models).

Gaucho, miles and smiles and SC Flier like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you no longer wanted the music on those CDs, then you could sell the CDs (and delete/destroy any MP3 copies that you had made as MP3). With MP3s purchased from Amazon, the terms say that you can't sell them if you no longer want them.

BTW, I thought that this was interesting in the Amazon TOU:
    2.5 Unique Identifiers. The Digital Content may include unique identifiers that are specific to you or your purchase ("Unique Identifiers").​

IOW, if you share your Amazon MP3s with others, they might can be tracked back to you.

Gaucho and Espan like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am only sharing with my wife, and she's listening to them on one of my iPod Nanos :)

Gaucho and SC Flier like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to download music with Pandora and Spotify being around :)

Gaucho and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    And last.fm

Gaucho likes this.
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    A nice US-centric opinion for the OP. ;)

Gaucho and Espan like this.
  10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    yup. and pretty funny above, about selling and then destroying any remaining mp3 copies...

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since I mostly listen to my music when I don't have network connectivity, I'll stick with my ripped CDs.

12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazon.... OK, I will browse Amazon and see what I can find.

Thanks to all for your input, and I look forward to more tips and advice... ;)

SC Flier likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn.... Amazon doesn't have the remix I want....

:(