Music downloads from the Internet

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jun 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this is not strictly technology but its the place where the techies hang out here, so please bear with my (as usual) silly questions..... :)

I have pretty much zero experience with downloading music from the Internet. Mind you, I never got the hang of things when it was 100% illegal, and at 44+ Im not into getting pirated music, Im happy to pay for proper DRM and be able to get a nice copy of proper quality to play on various decides. Problem is I still don't know enough about what formats are good, and how to make sure that when I pay for something I will be able to (or not) play this on my phone, car, computer, etc. etc.

Would love to get pointers from the experts... and also, if there is a good site(s) with info. and resources where its explained (for dummies) the 101s of downloading music from the internet.... that would be great...

Thanks!!
    Alex

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your platform of choice, you can go with Google's Music "All Access" membership, which gives you allows you to buy music and use it on your desktop or mobile device (careful with the bandwidth though :) ).

Apple does something similar, where you can just install iTunes and purchase whatever music you want, then you can sync this with your iPhone / iPad / whatever and take it with you on the go.

There are a few differences between the services, but you don't generally have to worry about format or anything of the sort. And usually if your car supports A2DP you can just connect via Bluetooth to play your music from your phone (good reason to have a car charger handy) or connect your phone to your car via USB.

I think the only issue is that these solutions are the big ones, which means you're buying into their ecosystem. That's good because everything sort of comes "pre-packaged" for you, but it could be an issue if you don't want to commit to a particular platform.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google Play and iTunes are the biggest two of the game. They allow you to use the music (i know play store stuff better than itunes) on any device you sign into with your account.

As far as connecting it to the car, there are a couple ways to play it off a device into the car. Many cars, even low end ones like mine, have a 3.5mm aux input jack somewhere. This can be connected via a male to male extension cable to your phone headphone jack. that's the easiest way for me.

Newest cars likely have bluetooth BLE. Your iphone 5 supports this. Some andriod phones (mostly new end samsung at this point) do and of course anything that has 4.3+ running (not released yet) will as well.

Older cars use other forms of blue tooth and compatibility really comes down to profiles and ways to turn things on or off.

Couple of things to remember. Non BLE bluetooth will chew your battery especially when coupled with streaming. The bluetooth version being used in the car system is very important to what will easily connect to it. For these two reasons, i find the physical 3.5mm cable my favorite solution.

Gaucho and viguera like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say Amazon MP3 is also a big player in this realm. I think more popular than Google Play, but now that Google Play is full force that might change since Gplay defaulted on android.

If you use multiplatform, I would suggest AmazonMP3 vs Gplay/iTunes because aMP3 is more independent of the provider's interface.

Gaucho, Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you have young children that already know more than you ever will about the topic at hand and you can seek their advice?

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    :oops:

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Touche... but, your useful advice is where...?????

:p

Tenmoc likes this.