Muppets company severs ties with Chick-fil-A over gay marriage stance

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by uggboy, Jul 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Muppets company severs ties with Chick-fil-A over gay marriage stance ||

Kermit and Miss Piggy you got our support! NO Chick-fil-A for us!:cool:

SC Flier, bonnerbl, MX and 6 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have eaten at Chick-Fil-A just once in my life. No plans to repeat, for a variety of reasons.

3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eat more cow. :eek:

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good on the Sweedish Chef and company

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Eat more cow food. :D

jbcarioca, Koschmar and uggboy like this.
  6. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speech is often free in America but it's results are frequently not. Which is the way it should be.

LETTERBOY, bonnerbl, MX and 2 others like this.
  7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good for them! I can't remember the last time I stepped a foot in a Chick-fil-A.

8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    there are plenty of other companies and individuals that will continue to do business with and eat at chick-fil-a. myself, included

9. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the thing about this, there are going to be people who don't eat there becasue the CEO is anti-marriage equality and a bunch of people who will eat there specifically because the CEO is pro defense of marriage act and a LOT of people who will mean to not eat there for a while and then suddenly will drive by one while hungry and forget about all of the marriage stuff and hit the drive through for a chicken sandwich.

Since Chick-Fil-A is a privately owned company there's going to be no pressure from a board of directors, no tumbling stock price to force a CEO change thus, none of this is going to matter much as most of the people who would boycott don't eat there anyway (as we've seen above).

I think Chick-Fil-A makes a good chicken sandwich, but I haven't eaten there since the last time they gave away all of those spicy sandwiches and I rarely eat fast food at all.

jbcarioca, uggboy and mrredskin like this.
  10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually go once every 1.5 months. I don't have one in town (thankfully, or else i'd waste more money) but will go and use a coupon or three from the cow calendar I buy each year. Plus the free breakfast or sandwich promos.

Regardless of which "side" anyone is on, no one can argue against the fact that it's one of the best run fast food chains, ever. They also have the most polite (and clean looking) employees.

11. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen some of the stories with the Henson's and another sponsor cutting ties. I can't say that I've followed the politics involved but Chic-Fil-A makes an amazing chicken sandwich. The family that created & runs the company are a bit fanatical with religion & views.

I have to agree with mrredskin regarding the whole way the restaurants are run- impressive.

uggboy, jbcarioca and mrredskin like this.
  12. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the CEO (and son of the founder) very publicly went on record a few days ago, talking about how they support "traditional marriage" and are not supportive of same-sex marriage at all. Regardless of your politics, I don't think it's a very smart public position to take right now, considering more of the restaurant's customers (Americans) are for same-sex marriage than against it, and I believe the last poll I saw showed a much greater support of same-sex marriage among young Americans (who I would bet make up the majority of the restaurant's customers). Chik-fil-a is taking a TON of heat on Facebook over this.

My opinion? The guy's an idiot and on the wrong side of history, but of course, as a private individual with a private company, he's allowed to do what he wants, just as I'm allowed to not spend my money there. Why would I want to support an organization that actively works (donating several million dollars each year to anti-gay organizations) to prevent me from being able to marry the person I love and have made a life with?

Side note: it seems Chik-fil-a isn't above some dirty pool, either. The same day as the Henson announcement, Chik-fil-A pulled the Muppets toys from their kid's meals, saying there was a "possible safety hazard." Hmmm what a coincidence!

I leave you with this, from the Onion :) Chick-Fil-A Debuts New Homophobic Sandwich: 'Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu' Goes On Sale Wednesday

LETTERBOY, SC Flier, kwai and 5 others like this.
  13. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing a lot of that is overrated. Wal-Mart always takes on ton of heat on Facebook and Twitter and somehow keep plugging along. I think the reality is 70-80% (possibly higher) of Chick-Fil-A's customer base (i.e. Americans) could care less. I'm not suggesting the equality of marriage issue is not important, but I think it flies way below the radar for most Americans in terms of "things I'm going to get hot and bothered over."

Agreed, you shouldn't, and that's the point. What burns me up are people who hollar "free speech" when someone says something like this (a la the Dixie Chicks) as if ppl shouldn't have a reaction. As I said earlier, free speech has a price. Everyone is welcome to say what they want but you also have to be willing to suffer the consequences for those words. It's probable that the CEO knew that this was going to cause a ruckus but just didn't care. His convictions were more important to him than some marginal customers around his bottom line.

Love the onion, they constantly nail it.

That said, if they did another free sandwich give-away, I'd like to try a Cordon Bleu from Chick-fil-A. Just not with that unfortunate name however. :D

That'd be the third time in five years I'd eat there. (not for political reasons, but for health reasons.)[/quote][/quote]

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

I am all for very traditional marriage -- sadly my wife disagrees :D

Jokes aside, I am all for free speech and the CEO guy can say whatever he wants. And I can speak with my wallet (but as I said earlier, I have multiple reasons why he wouldn't have seen me in one of their establishments any time soon).

LETTERBOY, SC Flier, kwai and 3 others like this.
  15. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree-- but that doesn't mean a vocal minority can't at least help spread the word. And public attitudes are changing (quickly!). I don't think the real "power" here is in a customer boycott that hurts them economically... I think the power is in bad PR and the fallout from their stance. (Already, the mayor of Boston has said none of the restaurants will be built in his town, because of their anti-gay stance.) What if one of their suppliers decides to cut them off? What if the minority of people who do care about this issue get organized and there are national protests, garnering lots of news attention and negative press for C-F-A? I'm not disagreeing with you-- I'm just pointing out that this isn't necessarily directly about "oh, they'll lose 0.0001% of their customers." My not shopping there is a small piece of the puzzle. In fact, these posts here on Milepoint are probably far stronger at contributing my little part to the story than me not having one of their sandwiches for lunch today.

Totally. If he wants to be a bigot, it's his prerogative. ;-)

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a few people have commented, chick-fil-a has been well know for fundamentalist christian views. They aren't even open on sunday. So what? I do not patronize them, and this episode illustrates one reason why. Considering where they are I'd wager these stances get them more business than they lose by virtue of the positions. Most of the same people who like their views also think mentally ill people should have the divine right to carry arms. The us murder rate reflects the virtue of that policy too. frankly we all know us politicians are afraid of saying anything that might offend voting wingnuts. While I personally detest the views of the chick-fil-a people, I would (stealing from voltaire) defend unto death their right to promote those views.

LETTERBOY, newbluesea, MLW20 and 3 others like this.
  17. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's a bit over the top and, more than likely, simply not true

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  18. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier and jbcarioca like this.
  19. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think anyone is taking the position they don't have the right to promote their views. As other posters have said, you have the right to speak and also a right to suffer/enjoy the consequences.

LETTERBOY, MX and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just restating what almost everyone has, I did not imagine I said anything different. In this it seems we at Milepoint almost all share common views of human rights, another reason I do like MP so much.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not argue if someone sees that issue differently than I do. Demonstrated behavior is the basis for my comment.
    Precisely! As a publicly elected official I think no mayor should express such views. Censoring the speech or opinions of others is not his place. If there is some law in place on that or any other issue then chick-fil-a or anybody else would have the obligation to adhere to the law. Not letting them operate because he objects to their views is absurd and IMO, just outright wrong.

SC Flier and mrredskin like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only Chick-filler I have ever eaten at was in a mall in a Boston suburb (Burlington, MA).

I think the Boston mayor was just as wrong as the Chick-fil-a CEO.

jbcarioca, SC Flier and mrredskin like this.
  23. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's what happens in situations like this. one guy rattles off on his agenda, and then another comes over the top of him and rattles off his own. no one wins.

Regardless, if I got offered free spicy chicken sandwiches and travel to Boston, I'd take advantage of both and milk that teet for as long as I could :)

24. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not nor have ever been a Christian, but I still on occasion fly Alaska.

I've eaten Chick-Fil-A food twice: the first time, it tasted kind of lousy and
    made me sick; the second time, it tasted kind of lousy and that was it.
    I can't see why the company survives, as it provides an inferior product,
    except that the staff seems more smily than other fast food places'.

jbcarioca and pnoeric like this.
  25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were I someone who ate chicken sandwiches, I'd patronize the place less than before, but even I've been known to buy the occasional Carl's Jr. when nothing else was open (mind you, this is after 35+ years of regularly not eating at Carl's due to the politics thereof).

I also regularly eat at the one "good" fast food chain for celiacs: In 'n' Out, which is also notably Christian but in ways that are not so obviously offensive to my progressive goals in life. (Double double spread and grilled onions only protein style, fwiw)

jbcarioca and pnoeric like this.