Munich Properties

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TAHKUCT, Apr 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning 2 night stay in Munich and trying to figure out at what property to stay. So far booked at Sheraton Westpark in Jr. Suite on points.

Any suggestions on where to stay? Is Westin Grand Munich or Le Meridien a better option?

uggboy likes this.
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The location of the Sheraton is not the best, but close to the subway.

The Le Meridien is right by the train station downtown, good location. I liked the property, got a nice upgrade last time I was there. Haven't stayed at the Westin

TAHKUCT, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both the Westin and the LM in the past 12 months and previously at the Sheraton. The LM has a better location except that you are somewhat in a small red light district although it is not a big deal and not a problem. It is directly across the street from the train station. There is also a Sofitel in the same location which I slightly prefer however both hotels are really close to the same idea and price point.

The Westin is in a small office park and is a 2 minute walk from the metro. It is directly across a small access road from the Sheraton. The Sheraton in my opinion is in need of a renovation and is a 750 room conference hotel IIRC. Definitely a pass. The advantage of the Sheraton/Westin are if you are working in the area or arriving by car as it is very close to the highway. Neither hotel gives me a particularly warm feeling but if you have a meeting there or if you are staying during Oktoberfest they are both OK. Definite edge to the Westin. LM a much better location if you are a visitor for tourism or working in the Munich CBD. Personally for the money of the LM often you are close to the cost of the Kempinski (4 Seasons) which is a much nicer hotel. I also quite like the Charles although it is usually closer in price to the MO so not the best comparison unless you find a very good sale rate. PM me or post here if you have any Munich specific questions and I will do my best to answer- I am quite often in Munich and as such know a little bit about the city and have stayed in most of the main business hotels and a few of the luxury properties in the city.

Counsellor, TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

I booked a Jr. Suite at Sheraton Wetspark for 11.5k SPG points per night with Club access. Le Meridien is 16k per night for a standard room. Is it worth using points to stay in a satndard room at Le Meridien compared to Jr Suite at Sheraton Westpark? As long as Sheraton Westpark lounge is decent, I probably stick with this property and just use public transportation to get around.

5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your info. I will spend in Munich only 2.5 days while in route to DXB and would like to maximize my time as much as possible. Already booked a BMW museum tour for one of the days and thinking of also taking a day trip to Saltzburg, Austria.

Are you talking about Sheraton Westpark or Sheraton Arabellapark which is closer to Westin?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If maximizing your time actually in the city is the goal then the Le M is the place to be as SPG properties go. Right by the train station and ~10 minutes from the main drag of the tourist area. I prefer to stay in a city center location in most cases, even if it means paying a bit more. The convenience of not schlepping back out to the hotel at the end of the day (or being able to duck back in mid-day for a siesta) is a big win for me.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct that I am referring to the Sheraton Arabellapark. If you want to read a trip report regarding the Westin I posted one in 2011 which is here in this forum: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/westin-grand-munich-trip-report.18891/

2.5 days there is a lot to see in Munich- I would save a day trip to Austria for a future visit unless you have a very strong affinity to Mozart and for this reason want to visit Austria immediately. I would definitely for your situation stay at the LM. Note lounges in general in Germany are nothing that special- the only SPG lounge I can think of in the entire country which is noteworthy is at the Frankfurt airport- and even then I would far rather be somewhere else than in a lounge if I don't need to be there for a meeting. You will find so many options for eating, drinking, and relaxing in Munich- absolutely not required to have a hotel lounge.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a night at the Westpark a few weeks ago. A nice place for the price. Near the metro and there is a Chinese Hot Pot place sort of right next door [didn't eat there but it was packed and looked good - I eat hot pot all the time in DC :) ]. Location was OK [Not great but not that bad either]. The lounge was OK too and the staff were all courteous and professional. If I have no H Honors points to burn at Munich City [or status], I'd go back to this hotel on my next MUC trip

There is a ton to do in MUC for 2 days,

Cheers.

TAHKUCT, TRAVELSIG and Counsellor like this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good tip on the Hot Pot! Also just down the street from the Westin is a very good Indian restaurant- it is on the second floor so look for the stairs and then go up and if the weather is good they have a great terrace.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for suggestions. I went ahead and booked Le Meridien Munich.

Now unrelated question. Can I purchase a SIM card at MUC airport? Have been at MUC few times, but do no recall seeing any Mobile Phone operators stores or booths.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any sim cards for sale at MUC airport. How long are you in Germany for? If a shorter time frame and not a lot of calls- one of those any country global roaming sims may work out to be a better deal?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will need a sim card mainly for data of at least 150 Mb per day use.

13. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    SIM cards

http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Germany

There is also a dedicated FT thread that I couldn't find - the main one that I looked at ages ago - but did find this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...ying-international-sim-card-once-germany.html

Cheers

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am stuck- don't know how to get that in Germany for you- perhaps some of our German residence customers will weigh in ? That is a lot of data by European standards.

15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Will need to be able to receive large files and access my server.

16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 to all stated. I've also had great stays at the Hilton and Holiday Inn (both close to city center and spitting distance to Rosenheimer Platz which provides easy access to many Sbahn train lines)

That said, Mrs Willie & I had a quick overnight in München recently and decided to stay at the Westin Grand as there was a ridiculously cheap rate of 59 € and we had plans with a friend who lives close to the Westin.

As Gold was upgraded to SPG floor & given lounge access. Bed was so darn comfy and room was quiet, perfect for sleeping.

The lounge at the Westin Grand I think is one of the finest lounges in terms of comfort, offerings, as well as the view, the floor to ceiling glass windows provide a terrific view of the city center.

We were told that a cab from the Westin Grand to MUC would be about 75 €, so as a result, we took a cab from the Westin to the Johanneskirchen stop of the S8 SBanh line for ~11 €, then took the S8 line the remainder to MUC.

TRAVELSIG and TAHKUCT like this.