Multiple devices on Wifi in Admirals club

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Rajivroy, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rajivroy

Rajivroy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nowadays we have more than one wifi device:
    - iPhone, iPad and laptop.

The lounges only all ONE of the devices to be connected.

Why? Why can we NOT connect at least 3????

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Limited bandwidth, I'm sure. Plus a limited number of IP addresses available to lease.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm fine with one device. I use it for my laptop. The 3G on my iPhone is fast enough for anything I need to do on it, and I can plug it into a charger so I'm not draining battery while using it.

Honestly I can't imagine what you'd need 3 devices hooked up to to wifi for though, but that's probably just how I operate.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if you paid for access with T-Mobile, wouldn't they also limit you to one device?

5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Unless, of course, you collect a few complimentary WiFi access cards when you use the lounge for international travel.....

6. Rajivroy

Rajivroy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry but why would I NOT want to use 3 devices? Welcome to 2011. I have an iphone, an ipad and a laptop AND I use all three that is why!!!

Limited bandwidth!!!! Not a chance. How does it make a difference if 10 people in the lounge use 30 devices or 30 people use 1 device each?? And no it is unlikely that everyone uses 3 devices. And no I don't need to hear about 30 people using 3 devices. I understand the logic/math.

And yes I have written to American about this 3 years ago when I only used to have 2 devices.

One of my pet peeves with Admiral lounges.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin likes this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with Rajivroy. They may claim a bandwidth issue, but in reality I have a very hard time believing that. Bandwidth is quite cheap these days. And as for IP addresses, they're not giving out public addresses. You can have essentially unlimited private addresses on the network. At least more than an airline lounge can possibly hold.

Its nothing but a way to get more money out of people.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well 2011 or not, you only have so many hands and eyeballs. You can own 20 cars, but that's why multi-car discounts exist, because people know that in the real world you can only drive one at the same time.

I get your point though, it's a hassle to switch back and forth, but what they're telling you is pick one, and use that. Your phone should be good enough for phone calls, and that's outside of their responsibility. And if you have an iPad that you're using, chances are that you won't be using your phone and laptop for data at the same time -- the majority of people probably use a laptop or iPad for work/email and a phone for phone calls. That's what they cater to... mininmal expenditure and management, so one device per person it is.

It's unlikely, yet here you are wondering why there's a limit. :)

Everything is limited, since all bandwidth is shared. Worst case the lounge has a 6Mbps line tied to a wireless router or two. Imagine 10 people sharing that with the current "one device per" doing whatever they want and you can see there's bound to be problems. Now imagine 30 devices sharing, or 50.

In a perfect world you'd have quality and quantity, but if given the choice I'd take one decent connection instead of 3 mediocre ones.

Cholula likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you need to welcome anyone into 2011, most of us live here. ;) I'm in the same situation as you in terms of having and uses multiple types of devices, but I haven't struggled in the AC at all. I haven't seen you make a compelling case yet as to why I'd need all 2/3/4 even 5 of my devices connected to wifi.

As viguera said, if my phone can accept calls/texts, what else do I need to do that I can't do on my laptop that's connected to wifi? Email/media/web browsing/downloads I can handle on the laptop. The only thing I can think of is the use of some apps.

I think perhaps more people would be interested/on board if you can explain how the lack of wifi has negatively impacted your experience in the AC. What is it you're trying to do that you've struggled with and cannot do on a single wifi connected device?

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak for the OP of course. The issue could be for people traveling who don't have local cell coverage. Thereby needing wifi to get calls out on the phone and then also using a computer/ipad. I think even 2 devices would help the situation. I have this issue much more in hotels though.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But still, if you're using wifi to make calls with a service like skype, that service should be available on a laptop as well. You can minimize it and talk, or shrink the app and put it in the corner of your screen while working through documents or emails. I've done that before, too. I'm not seeing the major need still. Sure, it would be nicer if you could use your skype app on your iphone and have a full screen to look at your email/docs, but it's not a such a major issue that I'd be peeved.

But again, that's just me. :confused:

Edited to Add: Which isn't to say I don't see the appeal of changing the system. If AA started handing out a password that worked on all devices and it didn't significantly slow down reception, that would be grand. I just haven't been "put out" but the lack of wifi for more then one device so far and don't see myself having an issue in the foreseeable future.

12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not so much screen real estate to me as having to carry a headset and mic for laptop if i go that route.

This isn't a deal breaker at all. But it is something I consider an unneeded restriction.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd just plug in my headphones that come with the iPhone/iPod/iPad which has a mic attached. Not everyone will have that though. See the "edit" I added while you were replying though. I'm on board with the idea, I just don't see this as major or even that difficult on customers.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather the lounge get a fem2cell device to compliment a weak carrier signal and leave the shared WiFi alone, but that's just me. :)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's the issue with the proliferation of personal devices. We all have our "but that's just me" moments. :p

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed.

I don't necessarily care though... I carry my own internet everywhere I go, plus 2 backups... my Verizon LTE MiFi, an LTE USB stick and my Android phone which I can enable tethering on.

Shared public networks -- lounge, hotel or otherwise -- isn't secure enough for my tastes. :)

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not an Admirals club member, but I do have the same issue with United clubs. I really would love to have my iphone connected to the wlan, especially when traveling internationally.

Most people have multiple devices (I have a laptop, iphone, blackberry and ipad), but I think AA and the others have contracts with t-mobile using their retarded software to log on. I think AA are helpless until contract renewal is coming up

18. Rajivroy

Rajivroy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you guys JUST are not into 2011. :)

I am using skype on my iphone to talk internationally.
    I am using my laptop to read a PPT or an excel while talking internationally.
    I am using my ipad to ay online scrabble with my wife and periodically remind her it is her turn or she will Facetime me to tell me it is mine.

AND NO it does not require multiple heads/eyeballs or hands to do it all but it does require devices to be connected.

What is so difficult about that to understand???

I think the people who use skype on their laptop are just flat out rude because they are screaming into it. For crying out loud I saw one person fold his laptop aka phone style and hold it to his head while on skype. <deep sigh>

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I could argue that you're the one stuck in the past... :)

Do what some of us do and bring your own hotspot. Carry a 10-12Mbps internet connection wherever you go, share it with up to 5 of your devices and better yet don't share it with anybody else.

Problem solved. Welcome to 2012. :)

N965VJ, neuatomic and aamilesslave like this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, only two of those things require being on wifi, you can read a PPT or excel just fine without out it. ;)

Not to mention one can skype on a laptop with the use of earbuds w/ built in microphones just fine. That's an issue of manners, not the wifi.

As most of us have mentioned, we're in favor of a change, we just don't see it an issue that is that annoying. It would be nice, but my AC experienced isn't diminished by the single access point.

Also, I agree with viguera. Needing wifi connections is very, as Fergie says, 2000 and late. You should have your own. :D

21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... you're not going to hang out at the airport or starbucks all day, and we've already established that "free" WiFi at hotels is borderline at best. Why not bring your own? :)

22. Rajivroy

Rajivroy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... I am now getting suspicious.

You guys must be paid to monitor these forums and quell any sort of complaints.

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got me. I get cookie vouchers from the airlines.

24. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cha-Ching! :cool:

Actually, I think some of the response might come from a somewhat mercenary angle: If they were to provide what you are proposing, AC management would probably either a) hike the membership fee; b) curtail or drop some other existing service; or worst of all c) reduce the quality of the kibble snacks to a level that even dog pound mutts would reject.

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Clearly you haven't seen the laundry list of complaints many participants have posted here. :D