Multiple cards with the same FF number?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jbeutel23, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible, and if so, is there a downside to using the same FF number on multiple CC accounts from different family members?

In particular, the Southwest and US Airways cards, if it makes a difference from program to program. I would like to keep just one Southwest and US FF account considering it will help achieve companion status with Southwest, and quickly help build mile totals.
    Any guidance is appreciated.

deant and tondoleo like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally the name on the credit card must match the name on the FF account when they're linked. With the exception of a few foreign carriers that allow transfers among family accounts, each person must have his or her own account.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta/ Amex will let you do this -- one credit card account, different credit cards for each person, with the points going to one FF account.

BTW, the last time I flew WN was during the NW strike and as a result of my experiences with them, I've never been back -- no FC, and you spend all day standing in lines, etc etc, ad naseum.

DTWBOB

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With any credit card company, you can have ONE credit card account going to ONE frequent flyer account. However, you can have multiple credit cards assigned to that one credit card account. For example, if YOU have a US Airways FF account, you can be the "primary" card holder for a US Airways credit card. You significant other and any children etc. can get a card on YOUR account and be "authorized users". There is no way legally for your significant other and anyone else to be the primary card holder and have the miles post to YOUR FF account. The name of the primary card holder must match the name on the FF account. To try and circumvent that requirement risks all points in the ff account.

As for flying each person must have their own ff account. The name on the boarding pass must match the name on the ff account.

Hope this helps.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's diffrent if you have an account and let others such as family members have cards attached to your account rather than applying for their own cards. The extra cards usually do not get sign up bonuses.

FlyingBear likes this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second that. I don't think one CC account and multiple cards is what OP is asking about. As far as bonus for extra cards, sometimes there are small bonuses for adding another user to the account. My United Mileage card worked out that way, 40k bonus for spend, 10k bonus for adding another user.