Multiple Card Accounts w/Barclay

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by zshanlon, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my wife the US Airways MC last year. I tried unsuccessful to churn it (w/o canceling the original) several months ago but tried again last week and got it!

I anticipate receiving the bonus twice but i'll let you know. My question is how the hell do I register this thing online?

It wont let me set up an account because it says the username I have chosen already exists. Mind you have I have tried tons of different usernames, not the her existing one. I am trying to avoid calling them because I don't want to bring attention to the fact that I have 2 accounts...

Kalboz likes this.
  2. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you using a unique email address? Some places limit the number of times am email address can be registered to one to prevent multiple accounts.

Kalboz and daninstl like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I would try different email account, user name, etc. Also different browser or computer if that doesn't help. I know Barclay does some weird stuff when you get a US Air card with them. I was surprised how my new card effected the US air shopping portal log in. If you are forced to call just act dumb like it's the only card you have, unless they bring it up.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try logging in with her old user name and password and you should see the new card listed there.

At least, that's how it works with us when we get new Barclays cards. You almost certainly will get the sign-on bonus again!

LETTERBOY, Kalboz, mo26 and 4 others like this.
  5. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dariaus, you were right. The Barclay UI was a little hard to navigate. When I logged in I kept seeing my old card's last 4 digits but it was actually a link to see that card. The new card was there the entire time!

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    I quite like the system at Barclays and Chase where you don't have to manually add a new card like you do with Citi. In our experience, once you get the card with Barclays, you should also get the bonus!

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    AXP also auto-adds your card, I think you can remove closed accounts.
    Citi lets you add and remove, nothing is auto-added
    Chase tries to auto add and lets you hide and unhide.

LETTERBOY and Kalboz like this.
  8. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dariaus, from your experience, whats the timing on receiving the bonus? First billing cycle? First purchase? First payment?

I made and paid my first transaction but the billing cycle hasn't closed yet so I am not worried just yet.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have three accts w/ Barclays, all US Air, all show up under one login automatically, and I routinely call them to shuffle credit among the three of them...meaning, they don't seem to care how many cards I have. I've been told they won't extend me more credit, which I'm fine with as long as I can shuffle the credit from card to card. Easy...takes a phone call, tell them the card number and the amount and you're done.

Kalboz, TravelScrounger and zshanlon like this.
  10. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    It usually posts a few days after the statement closes, in my experience!

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    Duh, I forgot AMEX!

Kalboz likes this.
  12. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was your timing between apps? Please. I'm looking for a DP for myself. I have a year on mine come March. Thx!

zshanlon and Kalboz like this.
  13. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just applied for this card 2 months ago. Reports here indicate that it is indeed churnable, but what's the advantage to keeping the original card account open if you're going to apply for a new one all over again?

Kalboz likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    10,000 miles at anniversary for payment of annual fee.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another data point: Got first US Airways card last March. Applied for 2nd on Sunday. Instant approval, so I will soon have 2 active accounts. I will consider closing the first after the anniversary points post. The credit limit on this 2nd one was a little lower than the first, but still plenty of headroom for any targeted bonus offers that might happen later.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it advisable to wait close to a year before applying for a second card or can you apply sooner?

Kalboz likes this.
  17. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe I have seen reports of success as close together as 3 months (91-100 days). I don't actually apply for cards that close together and only do 2-3 at a time, so this one wasn't on my to-do list until just short of a year after the first.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    You do not have to pay the annual fee. Wait for the miles to post then cancel. You have 30 days from when the fee posts to cancel the card and they will reverse the fee (but not take back the miles).

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I might do that when the card renews as it probably is going to turn into a non-mileage-earning card in the future anyway (or some flex perks-style product) assuming Citi gets the credit card deal of New American.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you plan on keeping this card in the future? I just got mine two months ago and I'm kind of wondering what to do here. If US Airways is going away, I don't really want to keep the card as I've already received the bonus and I doubt it will still be churnable by the time I can apply for another one. Is there an advantage to keeping it open if the airlines are merging? I'm still trying to get a handle on cancelling cards vs. downgrading them and this merger has complicated the decision.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still have my Flexperks card, but I don't use it. I only kept it after US Bank lost the NWA contract because it was one of my oldest cards and has a high credit line, so I didn't want to just drop it.

If Barclay's loses the US/AA credit card contract, I don't think I'll hang on to the card if it gets converted into some other non-useful card. I do have a Citi AA MC, but I might get rid of that, too, or at least ask for a fee waiver/retention bonus. Basically I need to weed out cards with annual fees that aren't strategically important for me. My US MC comes up for renewal in July, so still some time to think about it. I will take the 10,000 points, that's for sure.

Kalboz likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Email from Barclay's:

As you may have heard, US Airways and American Airlines are planning to merge. We want to assure you that there is no impact to your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard® benefits and we are committed to keeping you informed if there are any changes in the future.

Please continue to use your card as you normally would for all your everyday purchases and still enjoy all the great benefits you've come to know including;

Kalboz likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I got a second US MC :D

Used the first link from FT that Miles and Smiles pointed to yesterday. After entering all the data, I got an error indicating that the website had problems and asking me to try again later. But when I logged into my Barclay's account, it prompted me to activate my card (which I don't have yet, of course, and don't know the CVC for). After I canceled out, I saw a second card associated with my account.

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  25. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does the 40k NFL card not get a mention? Oh wait I know.....

Kalboz likes this.