Multi-destination award booking questions / help

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of booking the following award in business, with open jaw and stopover in SFO:

1/8/2013: SFO-IAD-DOH-BKK
    1/19/2013: BKK-ICN-SFO-NYC

I assume this is possible as one award US - South Asia, and doesn't require RTW, is that correct?

I tried splitting up the outbound at either IAD or DOH, but none works:
    - IAD: only shows 2 flights to IAD, as opposed to searching for simple rt SFO-IAD-SFO which shows plenty.
    - DOH: fails completely (United.com couldn't find any flights for your award travel requirements)

Provided this is possible on one award, what is the best way to book this? I am thinking to start with:
    IAD-BKK, BKK-SFO
    this books fine online with exact flights I want.

Then I can put this on hold, call and add SFO-IAD on outbound, and SFO-NYC on return.

Makes sense? Will they give me any grief? Any advice on what I should say to the rep? This is probably a cakewalk for most regulars here, but for me this is the most complex award I've ever tried to book :)

Thanks much!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially you have to cross the same ocean both ways for it to be a round trip award. If you can get the website to price it then you can book the double ocean routing but getting an agent on the phone to do so will be much more of a challenge.

On things like the DOH routing is there inventory if you search the nonstop? The website won't show flights for which it is not possible to redeem so if the segment in particular you are looking for has no award inventory it just won't show.

3. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, got it. I thought I read somewhere the opposite of the one-ocean rule, but I'm sure you know your stuff.

So you think even if I can reserve the initial itinerary IAD-DOH-BKK-ICN-SFO online, when I call to add domestic segment the agent will cancel the whole thing? I guess there is no harm in trying, but sounds like I shouldn't expect this to happen.

So when I search only for SFO-IAD one-way, there is availability on the flight I want (morning). When I search for the same segment as part of multi-dest SFO-IAD-BKK, it only shows two evening flights to IAD. Is there different inventory for domestic vs intl awards?

4. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may also be that the website is being buggy with the multi-city award search. I have also been trying to book and award trip too BKK via DOH. I am able to find award availability ORD-YUL-DOH (via other connection points) and availability DOH-BKK, but if I try to get ORD-YUL-DOH-BKK via multi-city searches or one-way, the website returns with a message that it can't find any available flights.

I've tried straight one-way searches ORD-BKK and segment-by-segment multi-city searches. I find it rather annoying to be able to find the availability in completely separate searches as separate one-ways, but not being able to piece it together as a multi-city search on the website.

desamo and Maximizer like this.
  5. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think multi-city searches don't work too well. Some other things I've tried with multi-city, seem to break randomly. Agree, it is very frustrating.

JLSocks and desamo like this.
  6. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even round-trip searches don't always work. If I search IAH-BKK-IAH, and select outbound via Europe or Qatar, the return comes up with NO calendar and SQ with a stop in Moscow as the ONLY option. If I select outbound over the Pacific then the return comes up normally but only with options over the Pacific.

But I can book multi-city IAH-BKK (via Qatar), and BKK-SFO over the Pacific! The system is clearly very buggy.

JLSocks, desamo and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. Mountain Trader
    Original Member

Mountain Trader Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been chasing an international C award booking all week. All the flights show up as available when I do a one way search, but when I put them together for a RT, I get an error message. I know the routing is legal since it will give me a priced itinerary for a Y award.

Also, the award engine does not show all of the flight options for a given day, even if I put a specific time request into the search.

How did they mess up CO's great award engine? More importantly, when will they get it fixed?

Maximizer likes this.
  8. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been having issues with this too while trying to book a one-way award to Asia. I once got almost the routing I wanted but have since been unable to replicate it using multi-city. All flights still have availability. Most of the time if I do multi-city it gives me an error message, even for really simple requests that match up with a one-way routing result. Very annoying.

Also, I've seen it mentioned several times that MPM no longer matters, wouldn't that mean that you could fly, say DEN-ORD via JNB? What sort of restrictions are there now?

9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think your example would price as a U.S. - Africa award, unless you were spending less than 24 hours there, but even then, it's a different region for the connection.