Multi-city via DL.com

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: Nevermind. Figured it out -- the key was NOT to put JFK in the route.

Hi all,

I have a trip to BDL in a few months that I would prefer extra segments because it would give me more miles and actually cheaper than the 1-stop route via DTW. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to book it on DL.com.

I found this using ITA Matrix:
    RIC-JFK-CLT-DTW-BDL-ATL-RIC 6/26 - 7/1 for $598

But when I plug those dates and cities into DL.com multi-city, the price came out to ~$1300.

Am I doing something wrong or is ITA wrong?

Thanks.

Ed

2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    On DL when flying between west coast cities, I frequently find that PHX(TUS)-SLC-X-SLC-Y is cheaper than PHX-SLC-Y. Places like LGB/SAN/ONT are ideal for the X.

Because of classic DL pricing logic in which any nonstop commands a significant premium, this strategy breaks the itin into two one-way fares which can be ticketed in lower fare buckets. It can be done on DL.COM simply by injecting these cities into the multi-seg tool although of course it doesn't always show the cheaper final cost on the first screen. Click through to book if you really want it. Six seg itins can be priced very cheaply when there are $59 one-ways between these cities. You'd really have to want the SM to concoct six DL RJ seg pingpong.

The last time I booked one of these, I realized by the time I was due to fly that I didn't want this many of the *best in class* SM or MQMs. At the counter, the kiosk would not check me in for the third and fourth segs (typical for DL on these kind of itins). The agent anticipated my request and said, oh my goodness, SLC twice today, do you really need these segments/miles? And I said, no, not this time, so she rebooked me without the additional SLC dogleg.

Unfortunately this can only be done on UA - whose program miles really are best in class - to a limited degree.

3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I will definitely have to keep that in mind.

I am now looking at a route that will have me going through ATL twice in one day. Are you saying the kiosk will not check me in because of that?