Mulling the 40% transfer bonus - can experts weigh in?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by gpaya, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the situation:

105K BAEC miles
    103K MR Points
    Expected BA Visa spend by EOY: 30K.

Is the 40% bonus of transferring worth the lack of flexibility in moving points later on? I'm NYC based and have yet to go to S. America or Africa and would also like to go to Japan.

I'll have some other AA miles (150K maybe?) sitting around. I'm just not sure how to manage the transfers. I don't use the Amex gold, but have been paying the fee to keep the card active.

Miles likes this.
  2. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, if you don't really use the points then why not take advantage of the 40% transfer bonus. It's free money man.

Miles likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always heard that BA awards incur hefty taxes/fuel surcharges so to avoid book awards on a partner airline not BA itself.

Miles likes this.
  4. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    152K BA miles richer!

They do - so I'll probably redeem on their partners. Though the free LHR stopover for a nice EU trip would be nice in business...

Miles likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one can really tell you the right move for you as travel patterns are pretty personal. I don't care for the high fees on BA but I highly value the excellent availability (and I'm convinced they are related!).

You already have some miles and it seems you will qualify for a Award Companion voucher, so where do you want to use it and how many total miles will you need? Figure it out and transfer whatever you need to make it happen.

But here's a cool scenario. You can purchase up to 500,000 AMEX MR points a year at 2.5 cents each. With the 40% bonus, each mile would therefore cost 1.7 cents. We're flying NY to Tel Aviv in First in May - 195,000 miles total with the voucher. 195,000 miles times 1.7 cents (just my game here - assuming you started with no miles) would cost $3,315 - for TWO First Class tickets. That's a bit less then the actual cost of ONE Business Class ticket and 15% the cost of two First Class tickets!

My point is you can always play around and figure what works in your situation. But do it fast! 40% expires in 17 days!

Miles and Toula like this.
  6. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Already did it!

I'm actually headed to TLV (via FRA on LH) in May as well! Had I known I was going earlier, I would've significantly upped my spend on the BA card for the voucher. I view spending the miles three ways:

2 for 1 voucher for BA J to Europe (a steal, IMO)

CX F/J to DPS/NRT

LAN to S. America (SCL,EZE)

Miles likes this.
  7. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    But, don't forget to add/budget roughly 1000$ per ticket in taxes, fuel surcharges and fees. Still a bargain for the tickets one is getting, but high

Miles likes this.
  8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I don't think the 40% bonus applies if you buy miles. I did a dummy transfer yesterday and to buy 148,000 miles in addition to transferring my existing miles came out to $3,700 which is 2.5 cents per mile.

Miles likes this.
  9. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the 40% transfer bonus?

I looked at BA thread titles since Feb 25 and don't see anything about it.

10. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    The source of the miles doesn't matter. If you have them in you MR account, you can transfer them.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/ca....aspx?intlink=TravelMRtab2011BasicTransferNow

Available until March 31

Miles likes this.
  11. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, gpaya! Unfortunately, I've only got a few MR points left and not enough time to earn more this month [​IMG]

12. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding of your comment is you can buy the MR points and add them to your total MR balance and they will transfer with the bonus 40%. I've searched the AMEX MR website and can't find out how it is possible to buy points unless you are doing a transfer. When you try to do the transfer it automatically calculates the price at 2.5 cents per mile.

What I am missing here as I would like to jump on this before it expires.

Miles likes this.
  13. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I worked it out. Somehow I came to a different screen which showed everything in my trolley and it allowed me to buy points. So I bought the points, added them to my points total and then did the transfer. Originally I was going to buy 6,000 points for $150, however I bought 10,000 points for $250 which transferred as 14,000 points which gives the 1.79 cents per mile. An incredible deal.

Miles likes this.
  14. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One can also BORROW points, depending on card and spending rate. That means no buying. :)

Miles likes this.
  15. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct - you have 12 months to earn (read: pay back) the borrowed points too.

Miles likes this.
  16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did borrow the maximum amount of points allowed, however that was a lowly 15k as we have not been using the AMEX card for the past 18 months.

It was great to be able to add 100k of points to our BA account for the cost of $250. That equates to one business class trip to South America. Now we just have to find the time to get there.

Miles likes this.
  17. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    so, does that mean you were able o BUY 55K MR points, for 250$? Plus your 15K BORROW, making 70 ca plus 40% bonus? That doesn't make sense, usually the miles cost at least three times that to BUY

Miles likes this.
  18. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only had to buy 10k of points for the $250. I already had enough points in my account with the advance to cover the rest of the points I transferred.

Miles likes this.