MSP power outage 5/21/2011

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A power outage at MSP has disrupted flight operations this evening. There were very heavy rain showers with winds up to 60 mph in the area for most of the last 24 hours and a tornado touched down on the other side of the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. MSP is a DL hub.

savydog likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The power outage began at approximately 8 am and affected 63 gates used primarily by DL. It lasted for nine and a half hours, until around 6:30 pm, when power was restored to three of the four affected concourses. Cancelled flights will force some (one local TV station is reporting up to five hundred) passengers to spend the night in the airport tonight.

savydog likes this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    How will this affect the MSP Economy ?

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not much. Us mid-westerners are used to the power going out from time to time. The only real reason you need power is to move the jetways and run the computers for check-in. The jet ways can be moved with a tow strap and a tug, check-in could be done the old fashion way. This didn't affect all gates if I read it correctly.

I wonder how many of those canceled flights are RJ's that would have been cancelled anyways and required an overnight stay?

MSPeconomist and savydog like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short term, it's good. Extra people are spending money--theirs or DL's--for hotel rooms, meals, maybe shopping at MOA to entertain themselves, etc.

Longer term, it would hurt business for the airport/area to get a reputation for unreliable electricity.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see anything in the news that specified which gates were affected, nor did local TV news show pictures that I caught from the concourses without power. The total of 63 gates could be A/B/C, which would include all of MSP's commuter gates plus about 15 mainline and IIRC several US gates. Alternatively, 63 could mean all of F and G plus D and E. I think either way it could be 63 gates.

7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    8AM to 6:30 PM seems like an unusually long time for a power outage, especially for a high-profile facility like MSP - why so long, does anyone know?

8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the repair crews wanted to wait and see if the rapture happened, since it would be wasted effort if the rapture were on its way.

dgreen12 and FetePerfection like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked an airport map and assuming that the statement of 63 gates being affected is correct, the concourses must have been A (14 RJ gates), B (16 commuter gates), C (27 gates, some used for larger RJs typically), and D (6 gates). This is the only way to get exactly 63 using contingent areas, assuming that the gate counts on my map are correct. It could possibly have been A (14), C (27), D (6), and E (16), but it seems highly unlikely that B would have power while A and C do not as B is connected to A near the end of C.