MSP Hilton

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by chz2215, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone is looking for a hotel near mall of America & MSP I had a great experience at this hotel last night. It will replace the Marriott properties nearby as my go to hotel in this area.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean the new Hilton at I-494 and France?

3. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. The old one by Embassy Suites at 3800 American Blvd.

4. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed there multiple times and have been really impressed.

5. alben

alben New Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this hotel for the first time 3 weeks ago. I was impressed.

I stayed at this hotel because the Park Sleep Fly rate is not all that much more than just Park-N-Fly. So it was a no brainer to stay overnight and get a good night's sleep before having to be at the airport at 5:30am. Especially since I live 75 minutes from the airport. What is even more odd is that the standard rate for the room was $189, but the Park Sleep Fly rate was $99. The shuttle bus to the airport leaves every 1/2 hour.

The pool area is very nice. My daughter used the pool while I used the hot tub.

Also we had supper in the in house restaurant. The prices were reasonable and the service was great.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an update as I did an overnight here yesterday. The main sticking point about this hotel is the shuttle service. It's terrible. :)

I booked an impromptu trip with the "Thank You" rate that expires tomorrow and ended up paying $69 for a Junior Suite. The rooms are nice, albeit the tub drained slow and some of the fixtures seem a bit dated. Same for some other parts of the property (some elevator buttons don't light up, things like that). Somewhat minor things, really, but enough that someone with an eye for detail would knock the hotel down 1/2 a star. :)

Anyway, the shuttle... we arrived at the shuttle waiting area around 4:30pm and the area was already packed with people who were waiting -- not sure if the earlier shuttle didn't show up or what, as they didn't walk over with us. Every other hotel shuttle showed up (including the one for the other Hilton on America Blvd) but not the one for this hotel. We ended up taking a cab to the hotel and actually getting there well before the shuttle arrived. No idea what the hold-up was.

Today we went to the mall with the intention of taking the (supposedly) 1:25pm shuttle back to the hotel to grab a quick bite, check out and take the shuttle to the airport. Of course the shuttle was very late (we jumped in a cab at 1:45).

Considering the distance is just over 2 miles and the shuttle is supposedly on a fixed schedule, experiencing it being late twice in 2 days falls under "unreliable" in my book. Had I known it was going to be a problem I would have just picked up a cheap car from the airport and avoided the hassle.

Otherwise the stay was fine... the lounge is a bit on the small side but it's functional. My wife commented on the lack of "healthier" options (egg whites, turkey bacon, etc) but the spread was relatively decent.

Not a bad hotel overall, but like I said it's a little dated in my book. Upgrade options are limited as they only have a handful of junior suties (9 in total), and if you book at that level your upgrade chances are even less likely as they only have 2 junior suites with a whirlpool and two "Presidential Suites"