MR to get EP stattus

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Sanjiv30, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sanjiv30

Sanjiv30 Active Member

Status Points:
    Looking to do a mileage run not sure if it is going to be possible. Short 40K miles for the year. First time in 15 years going to loose my status. Anyone have any suggestions.

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible, yes. However, you need to decide if it is worth it in both time, and money. How much would you be willing to spend?

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    40k seems like a pretty large gap to close. Possible of course, but value is a more difficult question. What's your anticipated travel next year?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you and what is EP? What airline? Total status miles required?

5. Sanjiv30

Sanjiv30 Active Member

Status Points:
    @ mowogo - What route you think I can take and would like to spend the least amount as possible.
    @ mattsteg - I am anticipating doing 100+ next year. This year due to personal reason I did not travel for 1/2 a year.I am life time Platinum
    @MSPeconomist EP is executive platinum on American Airlines. Total miles required to qualify is 100K a year

thank you everyone for your help appreciate it

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you can occasionally find deals to Asia. Realistically, even with some good mileage running, you are looking at $3000 easily to reach EXP (what most people use to abbreviate Executive Platinum). And that is performing roughly 3 round trips to Asia. Though this late in the year, fares are considerably higher. Depending on where you live, or have access to address wise, you can do a lot of same day turns LAX-ORD to maintain. If you are similarly based on points, you can do BA World Traveler Plus, and take advantage of getting 1.5 points per mile.

PantyWaster likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What routes do you normally fly, and what do you want out of EXP? The resources needed for a 40k run can go a long way toward making getting back to EXP more pleasant if you don't make it. Do you have eVIPs to use? How many EQPs do you have?

Without an idea of your approximate budget and time available, it's going to be difficult for people to recommend a realistic course of action. You could take a couple of roundtrips to MEL from JFK for around 3k each in coach. Quick and gets it done, but probably not the cheapest.

8. jhb3035

jhb3035 Member

Status Points:
    My circumstances are very similar to yours in that I will also fall short of renewing EP status for the first time in many years. For me, rolling extra flights into the first quarter of 2012 made more sense. Your EP status runs through 2/28/12, so you will not experience any changes to the perks that we have grown accustom to until March 1. I anticipate re-qualifying for EP by mid to late April using what would have been year-end, holiday surcharges on fares to book a couple of nice long MR's in March to warmer climates.

PantyWaster likes this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of late in the season to realize your 40k short. I agree with others, and wait till after Jan 1 and start again. I'd fly normal until your exp expires then use the cash you were going to use this year and buy some seats in the front to help you for next year.

javacodeguy likes this.
  10. Sanjiv30

Sanjiv30 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your guidance and advise, I appreciate it. Have a grea holiday season

11. PantyWaster

PantyWaster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same situation here. I will miss EXP this year, but I have planned MRs early 2012 and will hit EXP by mid-Feb without losing status ( I will gain from the DEQ11 bonus). I will miss those EVIPs for this year though...

12. PantyWaster

PantyWaster Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if you can pull off two trips to Europe with good routing, then you can renew your EXP (I know with the right routing (not through JFK or ORD) this is easy for me to do.