MR to ANC

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jollyman, Dec 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jollyman

jollyman Active Member

Status Points:
    So I am looking to possibly take my first MR to complete my status challenge. Unfortunately I had to opt in to it this late in the year because I have no flying plans this month and I didn't want to loose the credit I got in Nov so I was able to retroactively apply my flying from Nov. 16 on.

I have found a deal to ANC out of AUS for $561.60 costing about $0.06/miles.

The route is AUS-ORD-SEA-ANC-SEA-ORD-AUS on Jan 19/20. This will get me elite status and it will also count towards renewal for the next year -- which I will hit for sure later next year.

Anyways, would love your thoughts on this before I book it. Anyone find any better deals out there? Would prefer to fly out of DFW but haven't found a good deal from there yet.

Thanks.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    ANC in Jan ... its gonna be cold =) so bring something warm ... and maybe those instant hot packs?

malikguy likes this.
  3. jollyman

jollyman Active Member

Status Points:
    Haha yeah, but I won't have time to leave the airport to feel the cold haha

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    All Jokes aside, 6cpm isnt bad ... but isnt great. Sorry I can't be of any help though.

btw I'm assuming you're doing AA?

5. jollyman

jollyman Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah AA

6. jollyman

jollyman Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm open to other routes that bring in 8700 miles RT

7. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mentioned challenge. So do you mean 8,700 points?

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. jollyman

jollyman Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry not sure why I wrote miles! I need 3765 points!

9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could not beat this price and I beat up ITA pretty good. The only other thing that I could think of is that right now, DFW / BOS is on sale for $190 this weekend ($181 with promo 17D2AY), you could do SDC's (assuming you are already Gold elite) and double your miles. It would not be same-day return but you would get a day in Boston. You would leave on Saturday night and come back Monday morning.

Without SDC:

DFW-BOS-DFW = 3,124 miles = 1,562 @ 0.5 ppm = 1,562 pts

With SDC:

DFW-MIA-BOS-MIA-DFW = 4,758 miles = 2,242 @ 1.0 ppm + 1,258 @ 0.5 ppm = 3,500 pts

One of the legs on each of these flights (DFW/MIA and reverse) is not Deep Discount, they are M and L which is why you would get a full point on those legs.

So, that would get you pretty close. Then a quick R/T from DFW / MSY for $178 on 12/20 ($170 with promo 2912SS) with same-day return. That's 896 miles.

Summary:

DFW-MIA-BOS-MIA-DFW = 3,500 pts

+

DFW-MSY = 448 pts

=

Grand total of 3,948 pts for a total cost of $351.

Even if you are forced to pay the $75 fee because you are not elite or you would feel more comfortable going Confirmed, then you would still be paying $501 and you get to spend a day in Boston. Go Red Sox??

Good luck on your MR!!

miles and smiles likes this.
  10. jollyman

jollyman Active Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like an unbeatable deal, unfortunately I can't travel again till Jan 2013. Thanks for your hard work on finding that.