MR SEA - HNL

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Navysuby3, Nov 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Navysuby3

Navysuby3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings wise MR's,

I have some upcoming Thanksgiving leave and would like to make a MR out of my RoundTrip from SEA to HNL. I can depart anytime starting Friday the 22nd. But must arrive in HNL by the 26th and depart on the 30th.

That being said i dont even know were to begin to hunt for a MR. I prefer star Aliance airlines and business class.

Can someone make me smarter?

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be amazed at this late date, so close to Thanksgiving, finding any worthwhile MR fares to HNL let alone any fares that would be considered a value to most. Generally trying to find MRs to a destination during a peak/high period is not worthwhile.

3. Navysuby3

Navysuby3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured it woul dbe hit or miss at this point. Thanks for the reply

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want any chance to find a last minute Thanksgiving travel bargain, try overseas locations (trans-ocean flights). Those can get cheaper at the last minute.

traveltoomuch and Navysuby3 like this.
  5. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try China: Shanghai or Beijing

Navysuby3 likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    if HNL is truly your primary target, give it a shot & search a bit, you never know what may pop up. I was just hoping to manage your expectations that more than likely, nothing worthwhile will come up.

Seeing as Nov is off-season for the other places folks suggest above, fares are probably more reasonable & a better cost per mile earned rather than a run to HNL. (& personally I have had terrific experiences at destinations when it is low season as the places/restaurants are not inundated with a bunch of tourists).

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Google for "mileage runs" - you should find a number of articles, some from Boarding Area bloggers, on how to construct better runs. Here's my recent MP post on the topic: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/pqm-to-keep-premiere-1k.73009/#post-2193172

Basic idea: look for sane fares (use "flexible date" searches) then try to add segments or do silly routings. Consider buying a separate positioning flight (e.g., SEA-LAS/SFO/LAX/PDX/YVR) if that opens up an interesting fare for you.

Since you mention business class: UA has some international config planes flying from its east coast hubs (and IAH?) to HNL. Maybe you need a silly positioning flight (SEA-IAD) and an east coast to Hawaii RT?

Navysuby3 likes this.