Mr President and awmakers: Tear down this AIRCARTEL!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ahappyelite, Jul 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    A sorry situation: America held hostage by the aerogangsteros-the.worst flight you've endured very likely to be your next one. Packed, airless planes, passengers jammed into seats they can't even select when they are paying top dollar, families separated, flight attendants unconcerned about safety ushering people out of seats and hawking Pringles. Delays galore and the aircartel blatantly crowing that they own the skies and the barriers to entry damning all of us to the ordeal they have created-the endless boarding process, absurd fees and them thanking we the choiceless for flying with them-they appreciate our business even as they have turned flying into a cruel social experiment. U.S. DOT a toothless regulator that refuses to tell travelers that revenue based frequent flyer programs are worthless for almost everyone. What would the futurologists of the 1970's say if they saw the abomination of American air travel 2015? Since the Justice Department has now cottoned on that seat discipline is price fixing, we now learn that airline CEOs and Wall Street are not only making blood money, a lot of it is dirty money. Perhaps the greatest irony is the high spenders who think the airlines can be trusted in the face of all available evidence that this is the most unscrupulous industry in modern day America, outrunning their sleazoid competitors, will not screw them-just look they will screw even their highest $$$$$ customers. We need cutthroat competition, dozens of airlines and airlines must fail once in awhile like other businesses-this is mass transit and most travelers who pay their own way want LOW FARES, especially after the airlines colluded, conspired, confederated and agreed to decimate their frequent flyer programs.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    satman40 and uggboy like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're most likely one of these unprofitable customers as you clearly don't understand basic economics 101 when it comes to Supply and Demand. You're not held hostage as you have the free choice to make purchasing decisions when it comes to air travel since you have options. Of course there's the no-frills LCCs like Spirit, Frontier, and perhaps Southwest. You also have the choice of taking Greyhound, Megabus, or Amtrak and the such when it comes to travel.

OH and for the record when you say passengers that cannot select seats when they pay top dollar is a false statement because top dollar implies expensive airfare. Typically leisure travelers are price sensitive so if they're paying for Basic Economy on Delta or for a flight on Southwest then they're giving up the choice of advance seat assignments. That's on the customer for them to save money and allows airlines to transport customers that they would not have at their modest pricing structure.

satman40, Newscience, ella and 2 others like this.
  3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Our dear leader should get involved :D and fix this problem. After all the man with a pen and a phone can correct anything and has the track record show it. Just look what Amtrak. High speed, low cost, frequent departures, and friendly employees, NOT!:(

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline industry's relationship to the US government is far from single-issue. Considering how many airlines were bailed out after 9/11 (and many times before this) as an "essential industry", are they now entitled to make maximum profits at the expense of the air traveler? If so, then why right do they have to petition the US government to keep out foreign air carriers? It does appear that the "too big to fail" airlines are talking out of both sides of their mouths so as to make as much money as they can. And consumer advocate Ralph Nader makes a much more coherent argument with his letters to United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek, which, AFAIK, has gone unanswered:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nader/united-airlines-ceo-jeff_b_6694204.html

https://blog.nader.org/2015/02/24/follow-up-letter-to-jeff-smisek-ceo-of-united-airlines/

MX, satman40, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    With Congress ignoring anti-trust concerns about the Northwest/Delta merger, Continental/United merger, USAirways/American merger, it's doubtful any change would happen.

Counsellor, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    After spending nearly $1,100 on a roundtrip First Class ticket with UA, UA is asking me to cough up more money for a preferred seat on my first flight which is a single cabin United Express flight. An extra $35 for an emergency exit row seat or bulkhead seat for not being elite on my United Express flight.

So not always is it people that are low fare paying leisure travelers that are getting nickeled and dimed.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  7. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airlines have literally declared war on passengers-they are just screwing around with people, deliberately inflicting pain and making travel into a horrific experience, we dearly need concerted actions by passengers, especially those of us outraged over the ending of frequent flyer programs by United and Delta (Southwest's was always pretty useless unless you wanted a reward to fly to Harrisburg or Hartford.) My next two years of flying which used to include 120 flights will now include 20. We need a passenger strike, and we need passengers to stop flying on certain days, stop buying tickets (especially at lightly traveled times) and those of use who can cut back must, especially on the revenue based ff airlines. Our message to the aerogangsteros must be: GAME ON.!

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Color me sheeple. Having averaged 60 - 80 flight segments, @ 13K USD, and @ 120K miles a year for the past 8 years. I have the flexibility to look for alternate days / flights / routes allowing me to find lower pricing and better seating selections. I find the current situation of reduced rewards / higher requirements only an inconvenience. I need to fly to preform my work and I still find am receiving much more for much less than the average flying passenger and when I do receive a upgrade (over 80% of the time this year). When the pain endured / inflicted exceeds the rewards I will willing join in said action. Until then I will sit back and enjoy the ride (drink and the occasional meal).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    satman40 and Newscience like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United was up 4% today AA up 2%, in October they will both bite the dust, happens almost every year.

Enjoy the ride, oil will not be down forever, and wages are sure to go up...

Someone is making a political statement...

Their ain't no free lunches out there..,

Invest in the airlines, I understand Greece is in trouble...

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  10. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are numerous alternatives out there to the airlines. As a previous poster mentioned, they include buses, trains and cars, among others.

The majority of people who fly are not paying for comfort, great service or really great boarding procedures. They are paying for speed. Everything else is incidental.

Mike

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today they shut United down...

Good thing no gas was used...the stock is down 3%, investors should be happy,

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015