MR points from AMEX

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jonspencer, Aug 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    are MR points only earned on USA-issued Amex cards ?

seems my HK issued card does not offer same type of points or offers :eek:

I read on a post about buying Emirates points that posters were using MR points for upgrades or conversions, I would like to do the same

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some AmEx cards earn MR points and others don't. IIRC with some cards you can pay an additional annaul fee to have the MR benefit.

jonspencer likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beyond the note above about some cards not earning them, the redemption partners (and other program benefits) also vary by which country the card is domiciled in. So the US version allows transfers to Hawaiian & JetBlue. The HK version of the program offers AsiaMiles (Cathay) and Finnair. Both have Emirates listed, though that doesn't necessarily mean that the card participates in the MR program or allows transfers out in that way. Even in the US market there are three different tiers of MR which control the types of awards available.

jonspencer and iolaire like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sure my AMEX must be the stripped-down version and does not offer MR points :eek:

never had an AMEX until recently and did not study the different variations

I got it specifically to challenge any mysterious charges on my statement, particularly for rental car companies and restaurants who add gratuities after my settling a bill. I never tip with employer $$, always leave cash.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015