MR from LAX to Barcelona

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by miloki, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm need to fly from Los Angeles to Barcelona in June. I have about 135,000 MR points right now. What do you think my best bet is? I was thinking Iberia would make sense, since I can transfer directly from MR to Iberia Plus. Do you guys think this is the best choice? And any chance I can get business? I've never used miles for an international flight before.

Thanks! :)

2. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will take 12,600 IB Plus points to do roundtrip between Spain/North America. That comes to 175000 MR points, so that's a no-go.

You could do it with what you have now with 105,000 miles on CO. 1:1 MR to CO, so you'd have 30000 MR points left over.

Best deal would be use Aeroplan (AC) points, which would be 80k in business. Though the fees would be higher than what you have on CO, most likely. This would leave you with 55k MR Points left over, enough for another coach trip to the Caribbean or Central America on Star Alliance.

Hope this helps!

3. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the info, Chase. What I have tried most recently was to fly BA with their great transfer bonus going on now. The problem is, There are no reward flights anywhere near when I want to fly. :-( I do plan to keep checking back, but I will also check out CO and AC (I can't remember if I joined Aeroplan, but I'm off to check out both those options now!

Thanks!

4. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    When are you planning on going? I know CO has pretty good availability to BCN through Lufthansa (at least from DTW). You can use the Aeroplan awards to book Lufta flights.

5. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying 6/2 and 6/12. Unfortunately, CO only had economy and 1st, and I definitely don't have enough miles for 1st!

What does DTW mean? And I'm not sure whether you are saying to use CO points or Aeroplan points for Lufta.

Thanks!

6. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    DTW is my airport, Detroit.

I was saying to use Aeroplan points because they have the best business award rate at 80k miles (if you don't mind some fees). You can check CO's website for their partner awards too.

This might be a better topic in one of the miles/points general categories. You may also be able to get an award through the oneworld alliance and use Iberia. I've never used BA's mileage program so I don't know what there terms are.

7. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I couldn't put together DTW to save my life! Well, I got a pretty good deal with Aeroplan. I had to do three legs each way, and not *all* of them are Business (so far). But I'll keep checking back for that. It was really tough finding any reward flights at all on any of the airlines, so I'm pretty happy with what I got! :)

8. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know what you end up getting. I think three legs is pretty decent considering you're going during peak time and only booking four months out. I'm trying to get an award to BCN/MAD over New Years, I'm pulling my hair out over here. I'm about two weeks late to the party.