MR for AA Gold renewal or Status Match with AS?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tondoleo, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    With 10+ weeks left in the status renewal season a family member sent me an email asking advice on what to do to keep Gold status. Their planned and paid travel until mid November will leave them with 19,416 eqms towards Gold renewal. Until the last week of December they can only travel on weekends. He is a recent University graduate has no business related travel from his job. Thus, all trips are paid out of his own pocket.

The thought occurred to me that he could status match with AS. He is in the SEA area. The AA status was appealing because of the OW partnership.

What do you think? One reasonable cross country zig zag would do it for less than $ 500. Or one cal/email could get the elite status and the benefits of better seat selection, free bags, etc.; and save some much needed moolah.

What do you think would be the best advice to share with my relative? Thanks.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  2. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can only status match once per lifetime with Alaska. If your relative isn't going to keep AS status for the long-term, this might be a waste of that one time match.

MSYgirl, Sweet Willie and KENNECTED like this.
  3. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they are still available, he can do a run from SEA-MCI for around 230...not great, but for basically 500 he is renewed (4200 routing through ORD, 3700 through DFW)

4. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has he checked SEA-HNL? Might be even cheaper and one trip.

5. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is he planning to leverage AA's OneWorld partnerships in a way that he can't do with AS miles, and will his travel patterns stay at the 20-30k/year level?

If the answers are, "not really" and "yes" -- AS match after Nov. 1 seems like the path of least resistance.

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. I will discuss this matter with my relative over the weekend.

FriendlySkies likes this.